1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slight gasoline odor when parked in garage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mbrubaker, Jan 16, 2015.

1. mbrubaker

mbrubaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the last week or so I have noticed a faint gasoline smell when I pull my 2010 Prius (with 70,000 miles) into the garage and shut it down. I've looked under the hood and not seen anything obvious and there aren't any leaks onto the floor.

Has anyone else experienced this or have ideas of what might be the cause?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you ever overfilled it by topping the tank off?

3. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

If you're asking if there is a common issue with this, I would say No based on what I've read and experienced (although mine is a Gen II). My initial concern would be what Ed said. Then I would get under the car and under the hood and and try to locate the source. Shouldn't be all that hard I don't think. The source may be something else in your garage, too. But definitely not something I would ignore.

Small leaks of gasoline won't necessarily leave noticeable marks on the floor if it evaporates quickly and doesn't puddle. Not like oil or other car fluids. Fumes from evaporating gasoline are potentially ignitable in a closed space so if you have a water heater or other appliance with a pilot light in your garage, you may be in danger if you don't eliminate this hazard. In the meantime, I would try to ventilate the area as appropriate or consider parking it outside for the time being.

Any other info you can give us? Was any recent service done to the car (within the last month)? Any accident or other incident?

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Considering that it has just been going down the road.......where the wind will mostly remove the smell of a tiny leak.......I think you should consider that you have a substantial leak and get it checked out .......SOON.

IF......the leak happens to be on the high pressure side of the fuel system, a small leak can become bigger in a hurry and potentially start a fire. :eek:

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I park my 07 since new in the garage and have never ever smelled even faint wiff of gas and I have a good sniffer.

I agree with Easy any gasolene smell in the garage is emergency in my book. I would at the very least park it outside till its remedied. Lots of youtubes with roofs missing from explosions in the garage.:eek:.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Winter gaso has a lot more light butanes so could help explain the smell. It's getting harder to smell gaso with lower near-zero sulfur regs coming into effect but the regs are being phased in gradually, and I am not sure if smaller stations have some exclusions, so you could have got a smelly batch of winter gaso.

EDIT: But by all means check it out at a shop if you have a concern

#6 wjtracy, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just remembered that some folks are reporting leaks in the filler tube resulting in water entering their tanks. That's a place to check and ensure it's not spilling or leaking during fill-up. But if it's not there, keep looking.

8. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not normal, not good.
    Get it checked.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the gas cap, or something in that vicinity, will vent a bit if air pressure gets too high in the tank.

Typically occurs after an extended summertime drive. What are your ambient temps like?

10. mbrubaker

mbrubaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No recent work on the car, incidents or accidents.

I'm 40 m. North of downtown Atlanta, so the ambient daytime temps the last week or so have been in the low 40s to mid 50s. Nights will go down to mid 20s to mid 30s (cold spell previous week down to 11), but the car is garaged so it isn't getting the worst of the lows.

I never over-top, just let the pump do its auto shut off with the catch at the slowest fill rate. Only difference is that the last 2 fills I have done before the get gas warning has come on.

I'm pretty careful about tightening the gas cap.

Wife has the car out right now and I am airing out the garage. Will close it up before she gets back to make sure odor isn't from something else. Then will check to see if it occurs again when car returns to garage.

If confirmed it is the car I'll park it outside and take it to the dealer Monday morning.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think if it's venting, it'd be right after a drive, and if you're in a quiet garage you'd hear it. I think.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We did have one Prius fire reported here recently that seems like must have been some kind of fuel leak under the hood. They were parked outside their garage with some damage to garage. Believe it was Gen3.

13. mbrubaker

mbrubaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After a thorough check of the garage on Saturday I determined that the problem was the string trimmer and not the Prius! Very glad the problem wasn't with the Prius - the trimmer is much easier to fix.

Mendel Leisk and wjtracy like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I swear...
    LOL! I hadn't read all the way to the bottom and was just about to ask you if you had any other gas powered items stored in your garage.

Damn...too late for what could of been a great brilliant save on my behalf!

Well at least that DID turn out to be an easy fix in relationship to The Prius.

16. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It might be as simple as spilled gasoline around the filler.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If only someone had suggested that......

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know, i was thinking chainsaw...

19. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Been there....done that. The tubing in my trimmer cracked after years of use and I had it leaking minimally in the garage. Bought a repair kit from OEM Replacement parts for Tools, Appliances, Consumer Electronics and more | eReplacement Parts
    and got it fixed up.

Glad that was it and not the Prius.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why i have the ryobi 18v lithium system.:cool: