1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slight Overfilling of Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DevChatt, Oct 24, 2017.

1. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey guys,
    Did my first oil change ever (kind of happy with myself). I verified that I followed the requirements of the owners manual for my 06 and ensured that I use about 3.9Q of oil according to my jug of castrol which I bought. Although when checking on my dipstick it seems to be slightly over in oil (roughly 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch) above. IS this something I should be panicking to remove a bit of the oil? I haven't gotten the white smoke or anything that shows shines of overfilling that is extremely apparent. Is there any way to easily check if I am a bit overfull?

Thanks guys!

2. cs7559

cs7559 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello! Just checking....after changing oil did you start the car and either drive around a bit or put the heater on high so the engine will run for a few minutes? Then you will want to park flat and let rest for about 15 minutes before checking. Also...did you replace the oil filter...or leave the existing one on? Assuming you checked the oil properly...I wouldn't freak out but I would carefully remove the drain plug to let oil out partially then recheck. I always drain if a bit too high.

Nexus 6P ?

3. cs7559

cs7559 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ...and congrats on the first oil change!

Nexus 6P ?

bisco likes this.
  4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Drain the excess.

Read this poor guy's saga.
    Another Walmart oil overfill, Toyota is hinting at new ICE | PriusChat

It's hard to get a good reading shortly after driving, even 15min later; you will see for yourself. You may just want to check 1st think in morning before driving off, or after many hours. Obviously best to always check oil level when on level ground.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you replaced the oil filter (which you should) and checked the level before engine had run. Level will fall and is probably in a good spot now.

If you checked it properly and the level is more than 1/8” above the max line you should remove the extra. Less than that is probably ok but still not a good idea.

When I had to remove oil from engine (likely with somebody else filling it) I used big syringe “horse syringe” and a pretty small hose connected to it and then sucked the excess oil from dipstick tube.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With new oil filter takes a little over 3.5 quarts. I have changed my oil like 20 times.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i also use a pump through the dipstick tube. if you think you won't be doing it often, you can get them for a couple dollars at an auto parts store.
    i bought a good one, because they overfill every time.

8. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey guys,
    A few good points! I will recheck and verify today! I don't think I was on level ground when i checked (slight incline downward to the passenger side of the ground) and only drove a few miles.

Let's reverify today after it sttops pouring outside..i'll try to get a pic of where my dipstick stands and send it to you guys.

9. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just got back from testing it on more level ground (while raining). It seems ever so slightly over the dot. Attached is a picture....thoughts?

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cannot see picture. If you edit your post, you may need to select "More Options..." to attach.

11. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Let's try again.

Realizing if this picture isn't clear I can retry to shoot it in a few more hours when it clears up again. IMG_0128[1].JPG

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "ever so slightly" would be fine. Even your original estimate of "1/8" to 1/4"" I would just live with. If it was 1/2" or more, I'd consider taking a little out. My technique in that case was to loosen the drain bolt almost completely, let a little trickle out into some sort of measuring beaker, but that CAN be a little exciting, @bisco 's technique might be easier on the nerves.

Regarding the just posted picture: remove the dispstick, and wait 5 minutes minimum before reinserting. That'll maybe give the oil in dipstick tube time to drain down, give you a clearer reading. Flip it over too, sometimes one side is clearer than the other.

DevChatt and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Excellent! we just had rain again. Before I hit the gym in about an hour, I will reevaluate and see where it is. I'd rather be safe than sorry after reading the prior thread! Especially since this is my first time doing an oil change and I don't want my novice experience to cost me!
    Thanks guys! I am certain i didn't go a quart above and it definitely seems I am just about right based on what is left in the jug.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got the opposite "problem" right now. Just recently did an oil and filter change, very carefully measured and poured in (with a one liter graduate) 4.2 liters, the spec'd quantity for 3rd gen, and a week later, the level is maybe 3/16" below the top mark. I'm losing zero oil between changes, so I figure I'll just let it be.

All I can chalk it up to is I managed to do a very thorough drain. I did leave it dripping for a protracted time, went in for dinner.

Bottom line: picture the oil sump at the bottom of the engine, and an 1/8" to 1/4" one way or the other, it's not that critical.

DevChatt likes this.
  15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For those of you who did not read the link in post #4, read it.

Prior to reading that, I would have thought a little over the top dimple wold be OK.

The poor victim in that story believed the oil was about 3/8inch overfilled. About could be just under or just over 3/8inch.

OP should consider getting a new oil dip stick. Existing one has a lot of baked on oil, or whatever the process it is where the oil color seems to permanently transfer to the dip stick.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That looks like wet oil to me, smearing from oil in the guide tube. Remove and wipe dipstick, wait 5~10 minutes before reinserting to check, gives the oil pulled up into guide tube time to drain down.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats fine. In fact I run my oil at that level and it has eliminated the tiny oil eating it started to do.

m.wynn likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like it's right at the top dot, which is fine, with some smearing higher.

19. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Came back from the gym to reevaluate. Thanks guys for the responses.

I've attached a few more pictures. Went down the throttle body to see if there is any oil in there...no puddles, but a bit of moistness.Pics attached.

Will do one more check better cleaning out the dipstick since there doesseem to be some baked on oil which makes it hard to see.

IMG_0133[1].JPG IMG_0134[1].JPG

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ooh, that looks bad. time to drain or syphon.

Mendel Leisk likes this.