1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slightly shaking engine and rattling noise on acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MeGuinness, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Attached is a diagram and gasket list from when I did the whole intake cleaning. Go to Toyotapartsdeal.com for gasket pictures. If you are just going to do the EGR to cooler gasket, might be better to go to the Toyota dealer and shipping will be pricy for one gasket.

Attached Files:

southcoasting likes this.
  2. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The egr valve gasket can be recreated easily by cutting a A4 gasket sheet paper identically to the original,it should be a easy job and cost only max £4,
    Do I really need the rubber gasket of the intake manifold ??

3. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not for the egr. This was a gasket list for the complete job. The egr cooler to valve is a metal gasket. Could you use something else? Probably but each of the gaskets on the list was $3 or less ( other than the intake manifold). Why not use the same gasket and avoid some other issue (air leak caused by incorrect gasket then throw a code).

4. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It seems that in your side of the world is easier to find those parts,in UK only Toyota may be selling ......and I'm trying to stay away from their high £££

5. Channaaj

Channaaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    was your rattling problem resolved, any update on the problem? As I'm experiencing a similar trouble.

6. Lemans_TS050

Lemans_TS050 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I'm also experiencing a rattle with 2010 Prius when battery is low and engine charging and light acceleration. Rattle sounds like diesel or engine knocking but no change in rate of acceleration/engine power.

Was cleaning the EGR system the fix?

7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's one potential solution( but rather involved). But we'll need more info. How many miles on the clock? Any codes thrown? Any other problems? You get the idea.

8. Lemans_TS050

Lemans_TS050 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    154k. No codes. Just came from mechanic. Other issue is oil consumption.

9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How much oil consumption? What other maintenance work have either you or the mechanic done? Did he have any thoughts on the problem?

10. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys ....been on holiday and and didn't wanna messing around with the car as I needed to take it with me abroad.....!
    I'm back now
    Updates....

I took the intake manifold out ......I cleaned as much as I could by using carburetor cleaner.....and using a long stick thru the side hole to try and unsettle any carbon accumulated inside....!
    What I noticed is that each of the large intake holes have another small holes at the bottom....
    They were completely clogged,i use a flat screwdriver and twisted left to right to go thru all the hard carbon deposits,then with a longer stick to completely clearing it all the way down,for sure no air was going thru ,then sprayed with more carb cleaner.... then I inserted a water pipe on the side hole and pumped the water pressure until all the holes had water going thru and carbon deposits were pushed out. ,
    Refitted.,.
    Cleared the fault code .... engine light OFF
    Been driving for the past 4 hours.....the problem seems gone.

Regarding oil consumption it seems to be normal ,same with mine at 175k.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Glad it worked out for you.

Those small passages are the egr inlets to the intake. Great design, right :(? Toyota did a redesign of the manifold in 2012? and may have addressed some of the issues. IMO, the egr inlets should be on the upper side of the intake manifold, given the Atkinson engine naturally passes oil, which only enhances the issues in these small passages.

Thanks for the update:)!

Rebound likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is rivalling catalytic converters for problems. :(

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At least this problem has a less expensive solution. Replacing cats can get pricey, where at least this problem is a couple of gaskets and your time.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if clogging intake manifold cascades the issue, accelerating clogging upstream, in the EGR valve, and the dreaded cooler? The latter really concerns me: hard to access, needing to disconnect coolant lines. Pretty much a design fail.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good question. I would think so, but there are several ways to look at it:

1) that is the point of entry into the intake manifold, and it all starts there.
    2) it clogs further back and then since there is no or reduced flow through the small passages, they collect some of the passed oil.
    3) driving style / fast highway speeds lead to incomplete combustion generating more deposits and collecting on all surfaces.

Not sure which it is. the next planned maintenance I'll do will be at 200 k (75k after first complete intake cleaning). Plan on pooling a lot of tasks together:

Intake manifold, engine coolant, egr and egr cooler, MAF sensor, pcv valve and throttle body.

This will be a couple of years out, but will help with understanding the dynamics.

CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm a bit absent minded, forget what I've discussed and with whom, but anyway: I've heard it's not a bad idea to have a replacement egr valve and cooler on hand, be prepared just swap it out if it's hopeless. In particular the cooler.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No worries, I sleep and get a mental reset :).

What you suggested is what I have done ( I think is a great idea): I have spares that I am compressed air cleaning now to be ready for 200k. Salvage or auto recyclers have them cheap, and will ensure you have a good clean intake system once done and not rush through a cleaning to get it back together. But clean what you get from the second hand source, as they will not know to look for it ;).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What liquid the intake manifold could be immerge too and left it in it for few days to dissolve all the crap inside??

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some have used a warm parts washer ( I have a small 2 car garage in suburbia and park both inside so my space is limited :( ).I did what you did: carb cleaner then let cleaner sit for a bit. I then let sit out in the sun for a bit to ensure all the carb cleaner evaporated. An air test after cleaning will tell if the passages are free or not.

20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Forgot to ask when say oil consumption is "normal", could you elaborate. As in how much oil is being consumed and what grade of oil are you using?

Trying to get a feel for level of loss and associated issues in my own preventative maintenance planning;). My oil consumption on Mobil One 5W-30 synthetic is one quart every 6,500 miles with 136 k on the clock.