1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slip indicator and brake light problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kayak999, Sep 2, 2016.

1. kayak999

kayak999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2013 Prius, our fourth Prius. Great car but an issue has begun with, of course, dealerships closed. First, the Slip Indicator Light is coming on intermittently, now the brake light has come on with the car off. Locked door or not, light comes on. With car off if I step on brake pedal brake light goes off but eventually it comes back on. Not good for battery.

Any idea what's going on and how I can get this brake light to stop coming on? Thanks!

Update: Brake light now stays on, stepping on brake pedal won't shut it off. Pulled fuse to have it remain off.

#1 kayak999, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the forums here, you can find information on how to ask the brake computer to give you the trouble codes for the problem it is trying to tell you about. If you don't have access to a suitable code reader, there is also a way to do it with a jumper wire between two terminals (Tc and CG) at the diagnostic port, and counting blinks of the brake light (after putting your fuse back in, of course).

Then, unless you only ever drive at low speeds and on private property, you'll probably want to fix whatever brake problem the computer is telling you about. That will solve the problem of the light coming on.

Cheers,
    -Chap

3. kayak999

kayak999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

So you say there is no way to get an idea of what the issue is without reading the trouble codes? And yes, I would want to get the trouble fixed but was wondering how I could have stopped the lights from coming on without removing the fuse. I will probably have to get someone independent to first read the codes as a couple of the local (Florida) Toyota dealerships have notorious service departments.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wasn't saying that, but the question strikes me as funny. It's like seeing a guy on the street honking and shouting and waving his arms and pointing at something about your your car he's trying desperately to tell you about, and thinking "well, why ask him what exact problem he's shouting about, when I could just spend hours taking things apart, running tests, swapping parts, and trying to guess what he was telling me?"

Except instead of a guy it's the computer in your car whose job is to constantly watch for problems for you, and tell you what they are when it sees any. Yes, you can ignore it and try to guess what the problem is some other way. You'll just be way ahead of the game if you start with the information it is already trying to give you.

-Chap

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which brake light exactly? On the dashboard, on the rear of the car, is it one of the three on the rear of the car or all of them? Is it the parking brake light or the brake light?

Seriously... you probably need to read the diagnostic code, but for heaven's sake, we're all just people here and Prius has all sorts of brake lights. So which exactly is it?

6. kayak999

kayak999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Slip Indicator light is on the dash. The brake lights are the three brake lights in the rear of the car. I wasn't aware there were brake lights on the dash display. As I mentioned, the Toyota dealers service departments around here are notorious so I was trying to get an idea of the problem before going to them. Thanks!

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's just a guess, but the first thing I would try is to get a good flashlight, move the seat all the way back, and then look carefully all around the back of the brake pedal for a switch. I think there's an electric switch which opens and closes to turn the brake lights on and off. If it's loose or stuck, the brake lights will stay on.

The Slip Indicator illuminating, that can happen if you simply depress the brake pedal all the way to the floor; it's for starting on hills.

Hopefully, if you're lucky, you've kicked something loose behind the brake pedal.

JC91006 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. kayak999

kayak999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You nailed it, thanks. It was the brake pedal switch!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, good catch Rebound, I saw "slip indicator and brake light" and I went straight to both lights being the dash warnings, didn't even think about the brake lights on the back of the car. (I think I had just been looking at somebody else's thread that was about the dash warning light, so I had it on the brain.)

Please accept my apology, kayak999, for not noticing that I had misread your message, and steering it in the wrong direction.

-Chap

Rebound likes this.
  10. Nasmun

Nasmun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius 2010, Horn left working in straight position, worked only once turned to sides and ultimately went non responsive. Took to workshop, he said fault has been repaired, however after few days horn again went silent and slip light on panel came on. Mechanic told to press the brake pedal suddenly to switch off the slip indicator. Done but light is on and horn also not working. Any advice what could be the problem?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.