1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slippery Roads

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Venturer, Jun 27, 2005.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Venturer\";p=\"103194)</div>
    Doug:

True enough the Prius won't like dry washes and that soft sand too much.

If I ever need a small SUV type 4x4, I'd give serious consideration to the new Jeep Liberty with the 2.8 litre 4 cylinder common rail turbodiesel motor. It's rated something like 21/26, not bad at all for a SUV with true offroad capability.

I think you can flat tow a Liberty too.

Jay

2. Venturer

Venturer New Member

Jay, I've looked at the smaller SUVs, but We're spoiled. The Avalanche gives us much more room, rides smoother and is quieted inside. Mileage isn't an issue with when we take it. We like the comfort. Did I mention that we were spoiled??

Doug

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Doug:

Yeah, what the heck, you only live once. It's not like you're driving it to work every day.

BTW: does your Vortec motor make that nasty knock-knock sound when you first start it? My 2000 GMC Sierra started making that noise after only 5,000km.

Jay

4. Venturer

Venturer New Member

Jay,

Mine has made that noise at start up since it was new. 70,000 miles on it now. And I do drive the Avalanche to my business each day. Most of the time it's a 18 mile ride on I-39, but sometimes I'm off the road in fields. In another year, I might look into the Highlander Hybred.

Doug

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Doug:

It was very embarrassing for me to park in a crowded parking lot and then walk back out to my shiny new pickup. I'd start it up and it would say, and I quote:

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

I used to have folks ask if I had a diesel under the hood.

If yours is off warranty - and from those many miles I'd guess it is - here is one thing I did that made most of that noise go away:

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40.

That's a synthetic heavy duty motor oil for diesel motors, like Cummins or Caterpillar. I didn't notice any difference in fuel economy, but the motor was much quieter and the oil consumption was better than 1 qt every 4,000 miles.

It's also known as Mobil 1 Truck and SUV, and you can probably find it at your local Wally World. More info:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil..._SUV_5W-40.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS...vac_1_5W-40.asp

It's a bit too heavy to use in cold winter areas, especially at -40, but it doesn't sound like you have to worry about that.

Jay

6. Venturer

Venturer New Member

Jay,

Mine only gives me a couple knocks. I figured it was normal for the 5.3 liter. I run Mobil 1 5W30 in it . I change the filter at 5000 miles and add a quart of oil. I change the oil and filter at 10,000 miles. I've done the same with other vehicles and have never had any problems. None have burned any oil. Our Prius just got the first 3000 mile free oil change from the dealer. At 6000 miles, I will put in Mobil 1 and decide how long to run it. Our local Firestone service center recommends 10,000 miles if synthetic is used. I'll wiat and see with the Prius.

Doug

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Doug:

Sounds like you have one of the better Vortec 5.3's out there.

I agree with your oil change interval with one important caveat: to maintain warranty, Toyota requires an oil and filter change every 6 months or 5,000 miles.

You will have to carefully consider what oil change interval to use.

Jay

8. Venturer

Venturer New Member

I'll talk to my dealer, but will probably change both at 5000 miles. It seems a waste, but don't want to jepordize the warrantee. I will probably purchase an extended one from this forum mostly to have as a selling incentive when we replace it.

Doug