1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow drivers because of gas prices

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Luker50, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Lack of Highway deaths, especially single occupant ones is a good metric of “speed reduction “ as far as I can tell they aren’t going down.

Zythryn likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't seen any speed traps around here in years.it's almost like a conspiracy, i don't think cops like pulling people over anymore.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the only police in Pennsylvania authorized to use radar guns are the State Police.

Consequently, one must work to get cited for speeding.

Last year the state senate passed a bill to let local police use them but it hasn't cleared the house.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A typical highway here is 70mph max, but the minimum speed here is 45mph. That being said, there are far fewer people who go below the minimum limit than people going over the max limit.

I agree. I just did a ~300 miles trip on I-95 (70mph max). I was trying to get the best mileage but struggled to keep my car not falling under the minimum limit of 45mph. I ended up going between 55 and 65mph. I had absolutely no car that was going slower than my car. Ended up getting 78mpg on my trip though.

#24 Salamander_King, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Always? Not here, unless one is DUI or otherwise doesn't care about head-on collision risk. We have plenty of roads and traffic conditions where passing isn't safe for fairly significant distances.
    (a) I haven't noticed any traffic slowdown since fuel prices spiked. And that includes the entirety of a month long ski road trip covering 10 states. And while I did drive slower than average, it wasn't in our Prius.

(b) 20+ cars behind? Here, when driving slow (and speed limit doesn't count as slow), drivers are required to take turn-outs to let faster traffic pass if holding up more than 5 vehicles. An adjacent state has a limit of 3. Though I don't see it enforced -- or much of anything enforced since the start of the pandemic -- it is unusual to see greatly larger backups.
    On the above trip, Google Maps selected a segment where we encountered no other vehicles going our direction, faster or slower, for 115 miles. Less than two dozen going the other way. A significant gravel section in the middle probably dissuaded most other travelers and GPS routers -- Garmin kept protesting until after the midpoint -- but it turned out to be a very nice route. The gravel segment was excellent by gravel standards, and the scenic benefits were worth it.

6. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many complaints about being blocked on a "passing lane". I told my co-worker even a passing lane has a speed limit. He flared up and I guess he took it pretty bad and said "its a passing lane!" Well I told him that the photo radar will justify if youre in the right speed over any lane.

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Executive decision-making provides the edge. Be informed. Act accordingly.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing that he is going more by wishful thinking than by the actual wording of the state law.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, my 3 speeding citations were all issued before I was 26 if I remember right, and I worked pretty hard at it in those days.

#29 ChapmanF, Apr 15, 2022
  10. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not to say anything against someone. In California that's the way how people drives. They shove their car in front of anyone since its their right of way. Even on an intersection, they will block the middle until the light turns red. so the green light wont be able to pass now. A lot of rubber necking. Last time I was in 405 N Westwood. that's like a 4 lane. A guy in the right shoulder was changing tires. and that caused a 1.5 mile traffic. That's one of the reason why theyre traffic is jammed. Here in OREGUN we have 0 tolerance for those actions.

#30 Classic Car Guy, Apr 15, 2022
  11. Luker50

Luker50 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five