1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow Drivers cause majority of accidents--BS

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by efusco, Jul 20, 2011.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep like Parkinsons?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    50km.

Driving that portion at the limit you do exceed safe stopping distance. It's narrow, parked cars both sides, many side streets and driveway, and a tight S-curve.

Somewhere along the way: "maximum" has become "minimum" in the "driving public's" mind, and common sense went out the window with it.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the "maximum allowed by law" posted speed limit has been interpreted as the "minimum speed accepted by society" for decades in this country

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the "maximum allowed by law" posted speed limit has been interpreted as the "minimum speed accepted by society" for decades in this country

5. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i'll admit that i think people should be driving up to the speed limit unless there is a specific reason not to.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is what EVERYONE thinks but the "specific" reason is the point of contention.

the maximum allowable by law is exactly that. it is not the maximum acceptable speed limit for all conditions. so there is legally several valid reasons for going under the speed limit.

there is none for exceeding the limit and if just driving the limit is what people did, this thread would not exist

all this "implied" safe for conditions speed supposedly allowed by state troopers is not a valid argument. Troopers only pull over the major violators only because there is plenty of them out there. they also dont pull over people that are exceeding the limit by 5-10 mph not because its acceptable to drive 5-10 over "because everyone is doing it" its because they do not want to get the push back the driver will invariably provide. so they are not doing their job but at least their day will be much more pleasant

7. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i think we just will have to agree to disagree on this.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a bit of an epiphany this weekend. We visited my parents in FL and there are A LOT of slow drivers there...probably outnumbering the normal speed people by 2-1 and outnumbering fast drivers by 5-1.

I realized it when we pulled into town and I was the most aggressive driver by about 10x. Now in Atlanta I am probably one of the more laid back drivers but still have my moments where I push into the 30% range...I am never a full out road rage candidate but I probably appeared to be one there.

So I soaked in the laidback, and we went from 45mpg gauge to 47.5 in a day and left the place reading over 50mpg.

Instead of trying to get around someone doing the speed limit I would just snuggle up in there with them and enjoy the 75mpg instant cruising at around 47 or so.

Of course my mellow didn't last long and I wanted to kill again this afternoon back in Atlanta.

My point...environment really makes a difference.

2 people like this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They usually don't pull over those going 5-10 over because that far exceeds their enforcement capacity. Drivers are taking advantage of the safety of the huge herd.

At the time and place where I learned to drive, the far lower traffic volume and better compliance meant that troopers did ticket those going 5 over. A habitual speeder at that level could expect enough points for license revocation in about a year.

And in similar low-traffic rural areas, I still see others getting pulled over at less than 10 over the limit.

11. MontyTheEngineer

MontyTheEngineer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw a prius that wasn't speeding when given the chance.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny banter on the local sports talk show today. chad 'ocho cinco' johnson (pat's new receiver) was asked by host michael holley how he was being received in the community. generally very well he said, but he was getting hated on by a lot of people for driving a prius. the co host (who drives an suv) said he couldn't believe that would bother people. the host (who drives a prius) said "when i drive the speed limit in the right lane, you wouldn't believe how many people tailgate me, then give me the finger when they pass me!" chad said he didn't get a negative reaction in cincinatti.

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there any way to get the podcast?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think so, i've never done one but try weei.com. it's the 2pm show with glenn ordway and michael holley.

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ahh!! so you have experienced the speed trap AKA Yelm, WA?

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm usually supporting a major bicycle event when driving through Yelm, so am moving too slow to experience its speed trap.

A recent victim that comes to mind was witnessed just outside Ephrata. And Lake Forest Park, not rural, has long been notorious.