1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow EV Mode Effecting MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Edojidai, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Edojidai

Edojidai New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently purchased a 2013 Prius with 24k miles on it. I live in Socal where the temperature is temperate all year round. I'm only getting 38 MPG on side streets and can get up to 46 MPG on the freeway.

My concerns:
    I notice that when I release the gas pedal when moving (coasting), my MPG indicator shows very low MPG, maybe 2-5 when just coasting. My other Prius (2015) will usually show the indicator at 100 when doing this. Is this normal for a 2013?

The EV mode randomly turns on. When coasting on the streets I barely hit the gas so the HSI goes into the first area (EV area) but the EV doesn't always turn on even though the battery indicator might be 70% full. A few minutes later the EV light will show up, and later disappear even though the battery indicator is the same. I feel like my car is running primarily on gas when using side streets and rarely switches to EV.

I want to try and troubleshoot this issue before taking it to the dealer. Any suggestions?

2. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm almost wondering if the coolant temperature sensor is bad or something? Because that's what it'll do if it thinks it needs to warm the coolant.

Edojidai likes this.
  3. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stuck thermostat?

Edojidai likes this.