1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow last few days

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by malibucarl, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I noticed there email subscriptions seem to be significantly delayed from when posts are actually updated. Perhaps the subscription emails are backing up and causing the slowdown?

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you Danny!

Just wanted to say thanks for running this forum!

I've been here almost 7 years...took a 2 year break in-between while I went from Prius to BMW (nightmare) and back to Prius. I've learned so much through other wonderful members and also purchased some goodies on the PC shop over the years. :)

Rock on :rockon:

2 people like this.
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Thank you Danny!

Also, "Thanks" are back, Thanks for that, and "New Post Since Last Visit" is back with us, Yay!!!!

Thanks

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Why 10 sec wait between searches?

The forum is already slow, enforcing 10 sec wait make it even slower.It very annoying, can you stop that?????

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Re: Why 10 sec wait between searches?

The site has been experiencing problems and Danny is on it. There is a thread where all recent site slowness/downtime and discussion has been going on in. I'll merge this into it.

For now, it is what it is while Danny continues to look into options. Considering the site is free it's something to deal with IMO.

6. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My forum is only a little less active I think (2GB database, 150k threads, 1.5M posts, 5GB per day traffic) and has had growing pains recently too. I just moved to a hybrid "virtual dedicated server" with 4GB memory and 4 cores allocated, and while it performs snappier than the last host most of the time, it still has periods of slowdowns that (strangely) don't usually happen at peak traffic times. I'm currently at Unixy running cpanel/varnish accelerator for vBulletin. My next option is to add a bit more memory and migrate away the other website I run on the same server and I suspect that will resolve all remaining issues. My other finalist was URLJet. Although a lot pricier for the same hardware, they get rave reviews for vBulletin hosting on litespeed. I'm sure it would fly there, but to do so at URLJet for a forum this size, you're talking probably $500-$600 a month on a dedicated system, maybe $250-$400 a month for a hybrid virtual dedicated system or very high end VPS. At Unixy, I'll be paying probably $200 per month if I make the changes I mentioned. Feel free to PM me if you want more info on my search.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a pay/subscribe version of Prius Chat so I can get on it rather than finding the server not responding?

Thanks,
    Mike :)

8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In the old days, there was a donate button but it went bye bye with a site upgrade some time ago. Even that was only a donate button and not quite what you're looking for but donating would help his cause I'm sure...

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We need an official subscribe access and a free access with the subscribe being screamin fast and the free being what it is now. I'd subscribe in a heartbeat :) Very frustrating to not be able to get on the forum some days :(

Mike

iPhone :)

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMHO: I would not want a class system where people who pay get better service, that is not what web sites should be about. This site has done just fine as a free site for quite a few years now and I'm sure when Danny gets the problems fixed it will continue to do so.

But if the Administrator wants to accept donations again I will contribute.

11. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you have to worry. I think implementation of such a system for a vBulletin forum would require enough custom coding that it would probably not be worth the cost or effort. I'm pretty sure there is no simple way to do this with an existing, reliable plug-in.

I think the reality for a lot of forums this size is that donations or subscriptions can help somewhat, but don't usually amount to nearly enough of the costs when it starts to be a few thousand dollars a year or more. At that point, more ad placements usually become neccessary, unfortunately. On the plus side, those that donate/subscribe can be rewarded with an advertisement-free website and a few other perks, like increased image/message storage and such.

I ran my vBulletin forum out of my own pocket for costs, free to visitors with zero ads or donations/subscriptions for many years. A few years ago it became necessary to accept donations/subscriptions and when that was not sufficient, ever increasing ads became necessary. So far, I've been able to use just simple banner ads and resisted any kind of pop-up, pop-under, scrolling or inter-page ads. Though supposedly much more effective, those kids tend to be far more annoying to members who visit frequently.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For a while Danny was saying there would be a no-advertising subscription available. Lots of folks expressed support. But it never happened. Some folks speculated that the loss of advertising revenue would be greater than the subscription income.

But lots of us (myself included) would donate, just to support the site, with no perks involved other than the improvements that added revenue could allow Danny to make to the site.

Danny knows this and has his reasons for his decisions.

On another subject:

I write a post and click on submit. I get a message saying that I must wait 30 seconds between posting and I should try again in 16 seconds, even though I had not posted in the last 30 seconds.

I ignore the message and re-load the thread, without re-posting, and my post did in fact get posted.

That would explain some of the duplicate posts recently.

13. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Odd, I have never gotten the 30 second message unless in fact I tried posting within the 30 second time limit.

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Something is Fixed on PriusChat

PriusChat seems to be back to operating at snappy speed the last few days. Is it safe to assume Danny succeeded in installing new hardware and software? If so, shouldn't we be celebrating and singing Danny's praises to the rooftops? :cheer2:

15. 6lark5

6lark5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Your probably closest to the datacenter:

4428 S. Creyts Rd. Lansing, MI 48917

Try accessing it from California. Its a slug most of the time and lately it time-outs quite a bit.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Slow in Ocala Florida and slow at times when I am in Minneapolis Minnesota :(

Mike

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    automatically retrieve titles from external links gone/disabled?

I noticed this is gone now. I take it that this was done to improve Priuschat's performance? Will it be coming back in the near future?

18. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Also here http://priuschat.com/forums/members/bwilson4web.html
    Links back to fake air Jordans ,These are China based and you can't get your money back!Total RIPOFF!Glad to help,PriusChat is a better place.

19. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I deleted it already. You can just report them rather than linking to them in the forums and one of us mods will delete it.

20. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Oh you mean you deleted it before I reported it? so sorry! what do you know about magiclee?