1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

slow loading

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Tadashi, May 21, 2005.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Allow me to join the discussion :)

Yes, this site can get God-awful slow at times. Unfortunately, I'm not a full time server admin or web programmer, so I don't know how to look at the code and try to optimize every little bit. Our server is pretty kick-nice person in my opinion: P4 3.06, 1 GB of RAM, 120 GB HDD.

I place the blame on the Integramod software that PriusChat uses. It's a modified version of phpbb, and I think some of the coding may have been doing sloppily. However, it has all of the features that I was looking for and when we were running 15-20 people on the site speed issues weren't a big deal. Now that we get 120 people accessing the site at one time, plus Google bots and the like, it all adds together to equal a stop in traffic. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the SQL database, but as I said before, I have no idea how to analyze it to speed it up. I am planning on setting up a test site that runs Invision Power Board, which seems to be much quicker and less buggy than Integramod. You can check it out on www.hihychat.com and www.rxhybridchat.com.

So, yes, I know about the speed issues and it's not entirely your hardware or your internet connection. If you'd like a quicker version of the site and don't need the "View Posts Since Last Visit" feature (which most of us would die without), you can check out the Archive anytime - www.priuschat.com/forums/archive.

As soon as I get a test version of a new site up, I'll let you guys know about it and we can try pounding the heck out of it.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh ok. that i know about. and you do have the option to add FF and Mozilla to your startup menu for quicker initial load times. then its not as slow.

realize that any 3rd party app would have to do this and doing this only puts it on even par with IE. only thing is IE doesnt give you the option of not pre-loading it. it is done without anyway of choosing not to.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Dave,

So that I'm clear on this, what you're talking about is "pinning" FF to the Start menu, right? If so, that's done. Also, I added FF to Windoze Prefetch.

Not a huge deal or anything since FF only takes a few seconds more to start up than IE the first time I start it following bootup. After that, it starts just about as quickly as IE, of course.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep thats it but even doing that will not give any 3rd party app an advantage of IE. but when you look at load times, the difference is about 2 secs on the first load but if you time the speed after the window opens they are about the same.

this is a microsoft design tool to make IE more attractive over other browsers. it didnt convince me of anything though other than that if the browser gets corrupted that its more likely to hurt the rest of the machine. something that Mozilla or FF doesnt have to worry about as much

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag\";p=\"92157)</div>
    IE cheats because many of its dlls (dynamically linked libraries) are already loaded as part of the OS whereas Firefox has to completely load its code from scratch.

Now if you go back to Mozilla, it offers this preload ability with the "quick launch" option. However, Mozilla's memory footprint is bigger than Firefox's.

I personally stick with FF, and just don't close it down unless I'm rebooting or trying to fix a hang/crash bug.

However, keeping the browser resident is possibly tempered by a Gecko bug that I don't know if it has been fixed by 1.7.8 (Mozilla & FF 1.04). Many of the dlls used to get aggressively swapped out when the browser is minimized to the taskbar, and then there would be heavy swap back in on reactivation that actually takes longer than killing the browser and starting it up from scratch.

FF/Mozilla is still better, and I haven't seen this issue lately in 1.04/1.7.8.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    load times are not an issue for me since i connect to the internet for 2-3 weeks at a time on a dialup connection. i reboot only from old habit and to give the telephone service a 2 minute rest. because having a 56 k dialup is just slow all over, i never close the browser on this computer. (dont really use this computer for much more than browsing and email stuff anyway)

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Okay, FF 1.04 still has the swap out problem. To fix it type "about:config" into your URL bar (without the quotes of course).

Then, right-click and create a new boolean called:
    config.trim_on_minimize

and set it to false.

Or follow the tuning guides from Google.