1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow vs Fast Acceleration and the Eco light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sipnfuel, Jan 27, 2011.

?
  1. Slow - I like to keep the Eco light on

34 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Fast - I like to stay in the Power Band

32 vote(s)
    45.1%
  3. Heavy - I go beyond the Power band

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To and from work the top speed is 35, I keep it in the ECO band. For roads that are 45 or higher I put it in the power band if a person is behind me. I don't' want to be an ahole to others unnecessarily. I use to try and force EV mode on my work trips but it really didn't help mileage I just put it on cruise control now. When I forced EV mode I would get a really high mpg on the to trip and a really low on the return. Now I realize that having some EV capacity left at start up that the car will use it before using direct power from the gas engine (warmup). I guess this is S0 and S1a stage: Gen3 warming up stages | PriusChat

2. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All I have is my own personal anecdotal experience. I started out driving mine like someone's half blind grandmother. Slogging up hills and lugging the life out of the Ice, doing everything possible to stay out of the "power" range and usually getting about 48mpg in the morning and about 51-53 in the evening commute home. I now shoot to the top of the hills (never "flooring" it just a little more aggressively getting to the top) then coast and glide to the next stop as usual and since have noticed an immediate and consistent uptic in my avg. indicated mph. My daily commute is short and hilly but is boringly consistent. I made this change at about the half way mark on this tank and am now down to 2 pips on the fuel gauge but have picked up almost an avg. of 2mpg according to the computer doing this.

I know all our commutes are different but since they are the same daily, they make for an easy individual comparison on mpg. Vs. driving habits.

The proof is in the puddin'. Literally, where "the rubber meets the road".

3. Zzzt

Zzzt 2004 Salsa Red w/185,000 mi - now driven by my son

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I find that how I drive depends mostly on traffic. When commuting, I try to go with the flow. With light traffic, I usually accelerate nice and slow if I don't have a tailgater. I DO like surprising those guys with the Hemis, etc. in some acceleration away from a stoplight or two - that "instant" torque from the electric motor surprises most folks.
    Overall, I just try to drive the damn car like any other and just enjoy the extra MPG a hybrid gets you.

acceleraptor and bwilson4web like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    FIRST COLD START to 1st minute - parked
    • Start car when first reaching and then belts, radio, mirrors, and windows
    • If frosty, light chores like pickup newspaper, trash to bin, cuppa espresso
    • Cabin heater off if possible, rear window defrost OK
    ICE < 40C
    • just enough to reach speed limit and maximum use of "N"
    • minimize cabin heater, off if possible
    • A/C power defroster avoided but used as needed for safety
    40C < ICE < 55C
    • normal, cross town, keep up with traffic using cruise control
    • ordinary acceleration
    • cabin heater off at stops
    • A/C power defroster OK (the engine is in automatic fuel trim so it is efficient)
    55C < ICE
    • heater on
    • drive normally or if at a light on three lanes that soon become two . . . YIPPIE!
    Bob Wilson