1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SM 0W-20 grade engine oil instead of latest SN or SN plus

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kamrul, Jan 19, 2020.

1. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I have been using SN 0W-20 grade engine oil on my Prius 2013 with 75K kilometers on it. I know SN/SN+ is the latest tech. However, I wonder what bad can happen (significant / insignificant) if I use older tech SM 0W-20 on the next change cycle?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The owners manual references an ILSAC grade, as long as it meets that I don't see any harm...

moto g(7) power ?

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As @jzchen kindly notes, the Owner’s Manual for cars sold in the U.S. calls for engine oil meeting ILSAC specifications, but Toyota’s Repair Manual (more info) series states that in Mexico and other countries, oil of these other grades and SAE viscosities can be used:

API grade SL "energy-conserving", SM "energy-conserving", SN "resource-conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil
    • 0W-20
    • 5W-20
    • 5W-30
    • 10W-30
    API grade SL, SM or SN multigrade engine oil
    • 15W-40
    • 20W-50
    On that basis, I wouldn’t expect anything terrible to happen if you used Category SM oil, provided it’s replaced at reasonable intervals. I don’t know which (if any) benefits of ILSAC or Category SN oil—summarized in the American Petroleum Institute’s “Which Oil Is Right For You?” brochure (PDF)—apply in practice to Prius cars.

The definitions of Category SM, Category SN, and ILSAC GF-5 and its predecessors are in Annex G and Annex Q of API 1809, Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (PDF).

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m using just sn, not sn + 5w-20 oil. In fact it’s not even dexos gen ii oil :sneaky: