1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Small clunking noise when turning

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 2002_Pri_Rod, Jan 20, 2019.

1. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All - I have a slight, sporadic clunking noise when I turn - I am planning on ordering new inner and outer tie rod ends and ball joints tomorrow but I thought I would run it by the forum and see what others thought - I don't think it is a problem with the trans axle as the noise is sporadic and only happens when I turn left or right - does not clunk when I go over bombs or when I am heading straight which makes me think it is related to the steering

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd not suspect the tie rod or ball joints on either side unless I seen weird wear on my tires. My first thought when I read your post was one of the halfshafts going out. If it's a clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk until the turn is completed - it's a halfshaft.

3. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Yeah. Simple test to confirm CV joints is full lock in a car park and drive slowly. As Dubit says it should go clunk clunk clunk. Do the same on opposite full lock too.

To check for track rod end wear, lift the front wheel (1 at a time) and grab the tyre on left to right side. Try moving it and note what you feel. If you get a clunk, then it's worth another hand feeling the joint to hub point while you do it again.

Top to bottom doing the same indicates either a ball joint or wheel bearing.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I know it's a gen1 but....my gen2 needed a new steering wrack at 40,000, it was making noises.
    Why not let a tech take a look, then either get the parts or let the dealer do the work and then an alignment.

5. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response - no clunk clunk clunk - just a single light, more like thud than clunk when I turn the wheel when I am starting out - does sometimes have a second thud but no clunk clunk clunk

I have not tried the moving the wheel from side to side trick yet but was planning on checking all these parts so will check this when I am inspecting the front suspension - suspension parts have 230,000 miles so I am not surprised if the tie rods and ball joints are bad

6. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest I thought it might be the half shafts but no clunk clunk clunk - just a single small light thunk -

7. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just went out and test drove the car in big open parking lot - put steering wheel over to full stop - in both directions - silent and smooth - no clunking in either direction -

Front strut assembly is new including springs and mounts - I checked to make sure everything on the struts were still tight a week ago - so tried everything I could think of to get the noise when going over bumps - could not get any noise out of the struts when I went over bumps etc

So back to thinking it is a worn tie rod end or something like that - although I am not seeing abnormal tire wear and I keep it aligned since I have a lifetime alignment with Firestone/wheelworks - still definitely seems like it is something to do with the steering - hope not a steering box as was mentioned earlier

8. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Solved: I feel a little stupid - bought a set of quality moog inner and outer tie rod ends - put the cat on jack stands, pulled the tires and started checking tie rods and ball joints by moving the tire again and the suspension felt really solid - did not seem like the tie rod ends or ball joints were bad - spent about an hour looking and pulling on the front struts and the sway bar ends and everything felt really tight - decided to change the tie rods any way as I have the parts - when I was fighting to get the boot off the inner tie rod end I heard the clunk but it was not coming from the steering linkage - turns out the lower sway bar end link was just a little loose - did not make the noise unless you pulled just right - about a two minute fix - no noise for more than a week - now have parts - trying to figure out if it makes sense to throw the tie rod ends on the shelf for later or send them back to rockauto - depends on shipping costs as I got a good deal on the parts

Learn something new every day

9. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't difficult to change the tie rod ends, ball joints aren't tough either. Probably and easy Saturday afternoon job. Imho, you've done the toughest part--replacing the strut assemblies. At 230k miles, it all is about due. Inspect the half shafts, too and maybe see if you need to replace the boots. You can borrow Pittman arm pullers from Autozone or Oreilly's. They work just fine for popping the ball joints or removing the outer tie rod ends.

I'm doing all that stuff on mine plus replacing the control arms. My little gem is only at 206k. And works like a new car. (This judgement from a friend who borrowed it for a few days this month.)

10. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response

I think you are right about the outer tie rod ends and ball joints but looks like the inner tie rod ends might be a bear without dropping the cross member - I found the loose end link before I even managed to get the boot that covers the inner tie rod end off - although I am willing to bet once I do it once the next time will be easy -

Strut assemblies were easy to install on the car - tough part was taking the assemblies apart and putting them back together