1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

small motor running rear of car

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Thebearded1, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Thebearded1

Thebearded1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Today when i got home I heard the noise of a small motor running under the rear of my wife's 2016 Prius C. The car had been parked for at least 6 hours and was off, this one has a key not a push button start. I crawled under there and could tell the noise was coming from this.
    [​IMG]
    I looked at various parts diagrams for this model prius but couldn't find it labeled. Does anyone know what this is?

We started the car and the hybrid battery was 3/4 charged and was likely not fully charged when parked. The gas engine started fine and when we turned the car off the noise from under the rear had stopped.

I can imagine why anything would have been running. The car was not hot inside, it was parked in the shade and it was only 70 F degrees out today. Has anyone else had this issue?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, this car is slightly different than a regular Prius and haven't experienced it with a Prius C before, but the regular Prius has a sniffer to check for leaks in the fuel system that would be similar to what you're describing. I'm sure if you look in the owner's manual there will be an explanation of the noise you might hear when car is turned off.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Almost every gasoline-fueled car made in the past 15-20 years has a variation of this. Completely normal, nothing to be concerned about.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. Thebearded1

Thebearded1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Cool glad to hear. Never noticed it with my truck or any other vehicle i've owned

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not all cars have that kind of pump that makes noise, but there is some system that checks the fuel tank and fuel vapor system for leaks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.