1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SMART ELECTRIC CARS in AZ

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by jstack, Apr 11, 2008.

1. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry about that. After a bit more searching it's all BS.

2. Tideland Prius1

Tideland Prius1 New Member

Well another update (7/7/08)- it has been approximately 3 months since I dropped my $99 deposit for my EV Smart car and still nothing resembling a Smart car is in my driveway or garage - I'm glad (and SMART) that I didn't sell my Prius! Supposedly the cars are coming but when no one seems to know for sure. CA has been told that they will get the first one and I've called that dealership (of which there are now 16 dealerships for the EV Smart Car) but no one has any. The good news is that my $99 deposit that I also gave on a gas model Smart Car (back in September of 2007)has had the delivery date moved up to 1/09-3/09! At this rate I might have the gas model prior to the EV unit. Having test driven a gas model at a dealership in MD, I will settle for it should it beat delivery of the EV model. The US version of the Smart (gas models) are really roomy and from what I have been reading the EV models will be the older 450 design which are smaller and were not really designed for US use. Stay tuned . . .

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the EVs were limited to London for testing? And yes they're the 450s.

4. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I also have nothing to show for my patience. This seems to be a lost deal. I don't know if Mr Larence is pulling a scam or someone he was delaing with is pulling it.

Looks like the Mitubishi MiEV will make it before the smart EV. An article I just read on EV world.com said the MiEV is moved upt to April 2009, not 2010 as first planned. Testing went much better than expected along with record gas prices.
    Also the Miles XS500 is still coming along with some others from major automakers.

I'm still set to get my prius plug-in conversion from A123 in August.

5. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    looks like it was another scam.

I still think the yaris would make an amzing plug-in hybrid. Also imagine it as all electric. Toyota could do it in a second if they wanted too. They used to make the Toyota RAV4 EV and it have well over 100 mile on a charge range as well as batteries that have lasted way over 100K. They figure about 180,000 mile battery life.
    Toyota also makes the E-COM all electric but only in Japan for sales there. I'd love to buy used one and export it but that is not very green to ship it around the world.
    Oh, well the prius is real and the best deal in the world. I tried to pre-order a plig-in 2010 model from Big 2 Toyota in Cahndler, I'm waiting for an answer.

6. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I gave up on the local all electric smart car. This appears to be a scam to get downpayments. He is still posting info on his site but has no produced anything. I have reported him to the BBB and local authorities.

Don't be sucker in by this smart? guy.

7. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well first, its NOT an EV Smart car, if you looked at the info, it states, the PROTOTYPE was built on a Smart Car platform, meaning, they still haven't shown an actual design of the intended vehicle, of which, Smart would have all kinds of lawsuits against copying their design, if it looked like it.

Looks very much like a scam, otherwise, much more information would be available by now.

8. Tideland Prius1

Tideland Prius1 New Member

The AZ EV Smart car is a scam but I was lucky I told him I wanted my $99 refunded and it was. Keep in mind that my deposit was made prior to his posting all deposits were non-refundable. I guess in regard to the deposit refund I did get lucky. My gas Smart car came into the dealership just after the first of the year (2009) but I refused it. Reason was there are still no Smart car dealerships in Delaware. A round trip to the closest dealership is a 3-4 hour trip depending on traffic and time of day. For me, the gas Smart car option was/is not very practical when you think about having to leave a car at the dealership for an over night repair - warranty or non-warranty work. I have another gas Smart on order to be delivered in November with hopes that a Delaware dealership will surface by then.

9. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm with Rob. It takes about 10 to 20 horsepower to maintain 60mph (depends on vehicle weight, tires, and coefficient of drag), let alone accelerate up to that speed. 10 horsepower is about 6.4kW. I don't see how SMART can make their claims.