1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Entry: Dangerous if trying to keep bad people out.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brian, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was at school the other day with some friends. On the way back to the car, I joked around with them that I was going to leave them at school and they would have to walk home. So I started running to the car, got in and locked the doors. But, since I keep my key in my Left pocket, the key is closer to the door and my friend came to my door and it un-locked the door. So, even if you lock the door from the inside, and your Smart Key is close to the door, someone would be able to open it.
    This really disturbs me, because if I were trying to get away from a thief or someone trying to take me or anything for that matter, and I tried to lock myself in the car, he would be able to open it.
    Any thoughts?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm that would be a bummer.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Put car in "D"....hit gas pedal.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Disable the SKS by using the button under the steering wheel.

5. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not really worried about it, being a 6'2 pretty capable of defending myself teen, I am not worried about it. But for someone thats a little less capable of doing so, might not get the car on in time, when they can just get the door open with just the handle. I guess hitting SKS button under the wheel would work, if you got there in time...

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

This could be serious in some situations.

Maybe putting the key into the slot would disable the SKS?

That might be quicker than pressing the disable button, unless maybe you "practiced" pressing that button. Though if the key fob was deep in your pocket or purse, maybe the button would be quicker.

Tomorrow maybe I'll play with my SKS to see how close the key fob needs to be to allow anyone to open the door. If it doesn't work with the FOB in my right pocket, then maybe for safety, this is where the FOB should be kept, at least when getting into the car in "bad" locations.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, technically, the car will not unlock if the key is inside the vehicle. I would think Toyota would've played it safe and not let the car lock if the FOB's near the window (on the outside) as opposed to letting the car unlock with the FOB near the inside of the window. i.e. they would make the range of the 'interior' of the vehicle slightly larger than the exterior so as to safeguard against the problem of unwanted people trying to enter the locked vehicle with your FOB in your left pocket. I hope this wasn't too confusing.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well technically, that is not what Brian said. read the OP

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This does seem very odd, and disturbing. I doubt anyone in a panic would be able to dig the fob out of a pocket or purse quickly. Especially since we get in the habit of not taking it out at all.

I would have thought that once the fob was inside the car, the outside sensors would be shut off. I wonder if it is a 'n seconds later' thing. Maybe 2 seconds or something to realize the FOB is in the car. But, that is 2 seconds too long if someone is attacked. And maybe there wouldn't be time to find and hit the SKS button under the steering column.

Is it AT ALL possible that you hit the door lock before the door was closed. Maybe it didn't lock at all?

10. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did an experiment 10 min ago......was sitting in drive with car powered up...doors locked all the way around...had youngest son, go around and try to open drivers door and any other door from the outside......no joy...he could not get in, even though my fob was in my left pocket, i was sitting in drivers seat....we have package 9 with smart entry ...as long as car is powered up...and doors locked and fob inside...he couldnt get in...so it seemed to work in that configuration... :wave:

11. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, try getting in, and locking the doors. Then, don't turn it on, have someone try to, quickly. Or, roll down your window, then turn off the car, and then just try it yourself in different key positions. I think that trying to power it up would take too long in this case.
    The reason why I keep my key in my left pocket, is because I have noticed better bluetooth connection with my phone in my right pocket, and I have always had my phone there, so it would be hard to change.

12. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"50528)</div>
    Nope, I am sure that it was locked. I looked down when I locked it, then looked back up and smerked at them to prove that I have locked doors. So it WAS locked.
    But like I said, try it, you can do it with your window down, just reach out and do it to your door.

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah, so it is Powering up that causes the sensors to drop. Hmmm, at least it is easier to hit the Power button (if you know you have to) than fumble around for the SKS master switch. A little more testing necessary. Is a single push of the Power button, foot on or off the brake, sufficient? Or, does it have to be 2 pushes for ACC with foot off the brake?

Still, I think this safety issue should be highlighted in the Owner's manual.

And, thanks for bringing it up Brian. I don't drive in areas where this is a concern, but others might. And who knows, I might end up needing to know about it some day.

14. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"50528)</div>
    I think it is an "n" second thing, but I'm not sure if it matters if the car is powered up. When I first got my car, I remembered reading that if a fob is inside the car, SKS couldn't be used to unlock the doors. When both my boyfriend and I had fobs, and got on either side, we could both unlock the doors if there was only a split second difference between when the first person got in with the fob and the second person tried to unlock the doors. But if the first person was in the car for a longer period of time, the second person couldn't unlock the doors using SKS. What I can't remember is if the car was powered on or not...

I have noticed that it takes a second for the car to realize if the fob is inside or not. For example, once I purposely left my fob in the car and tried to lock the doors to see what would happen. The car did its complaining beep. Then I removed the fob and tried to lock the doors again, and it also complained (though the fob was not in the car). I tried again and then it locked.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm sounds like a lot of confusion over something that can be verified in a few seconds...

16. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"50556)</div>
    Ah, yes. The problem is my car doesn't have an internet connection, and I'm too lazy to leave my office to walk in the rain to my car and check this out :D.

17. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

I just tested this with my Prius (windows rolled down, key fob in left pocket) and the door sensors did not respond once I got into my car. Other than locking the doors from inside, I did not press any other buttons.

18. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"50544)</div>
    I don't either, but I also think it might be for others.

19. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Could the car driver door not be shut all the way? Am concerned about this... Hmm.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    someone has already posted that the doors could not be unlocked if locked from the inside or am i mistaken??

i dont have SS/SE so i cant test it. but i thought the subject had been cleared up