1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart entry for the rear doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priushead, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I include Lexus under the Toyota umbrella.

You mean like with the Lexus?

If it wasn't an issue I wouldn't complain about it, and Toyota/Lexus wouldn't bother putting this functionality on its LS 430.

And I wasn't saying that Toyota should provide this for free. I'd gladly pay extra for the option.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Lexus has a significantly larger capacity 12v battery, and I'm not so sure it isn't an issue, but I don't know that it is either.

Anyway, I'm sorry that it isn't provided as an option on the SKS option, but again, the packaging of the Prius is very limited to help keep costs down. The Lexus is an entirely different class of vehicle and for that increased customization ability everyone who buys one pays the price.

I hope that you can learn to deal with the lack of rear door sensors, as I have, in time and realize that in the grand scheme of what the Prius is how insignificant this 'problem' is.

3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I've left my Prius parked for several weeks at a time. No problems. In fact it was at the dealership parked in the showroom for well over a month.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eug\";p=\"50499)</div>
    I've left my Prius parked for several weeks at a time. No problems. In fact it was at the dealership parked in the showroom for well over a month.[/b][/quote]

With the doors locked and SKS on? Most people are noting a maximum battery life of 2 weeks with those conditions. If the SKS is off and/or the doors are not locked (like in a car showroom) there is only a slight drain on the battery.

The following document instructs the dealer to actually disconnect the 12v battery if the car is to be stored for more than 10 days--and that doesn't specify with or without the SKS being active. Your claim of 2 months is fine for the HV battery, but clearly the 12v must be either disconnected or routinely charged.

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"50527)</div>
    I've left my Prius parked for several weeks at a time. No problems. In fact it was at the dealership parked in the showroom for well over a month.[/b][/quote]
    With the doors locked and SKS on? Most people are noting a maximum battery life of 2 weeks with those conditions. If the SKS is off and/or the doors are not locked (like in a car showroom) there is only a slight drain on the battery.[/b][/quote]
    Not sure about the showroom but I had assumed it was left on, because I saw people demo-ing the smart key function. (I had left the car in the showroom, because I still had some time left on my lease on my previous Prius.) Thinking back though, I do note they sometimes unplug the battery for other cars, so probably that's what they did once in a while with the Prius.

At home, I've left it on for 2.5 weeks. No issues. I probably shouldn't have, but I forgot.

Either way, it still doesn't change the fact that I would have paid for the 4-door smart entry if it had been available.