1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Chicken Dance Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HG437, Oct 31, 2015.

1. HG437

HG437 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As described in several threads, I purchased a new fob for my 2004 Prius with Smart Key. I still had a working, fully functioning original and wanted a second for backup purposes. Using the chicken dance method described in the videos and other threads, I was able to successfully program the new fob.
    My problem is that the original key now will not work to start the car. Although it can open all doors and works when plugged into the dash to power the car, when I push the start button when the fob is not in the dash, I get the amber key with exclamation as if it is not finding a recognized fob. I figure I must of somehow unregistered the fob but it still does open the doors and locks in the smart key manner.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, i hope someone has an answer for you. all the best!(y)

3. James Luckett

James Luckett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a weak battery in the fob. You did not unregister in the car's computer (which I think would be an impossible result of the Chicken Dance anyway) if it still works when plugged into the dash.

4. YouBigDummy

YouBigDummy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a new SKS Fob for 2005 Prius and am getting stuck at Procedure A, step 4. With the car in programming mode, the new FOB in place, the blinking anti-theft light with not got out after a minute. Not even 5 minutes, not even 10 minutes. Battery is new in both the old FOB and the new one. Any ideas? Thanks!

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) New as in 100% virgin SKS Fob from a reputable source that sells Genuine OEM parts? Lots of fakes on Amazon/ughBay.

2) Or maybe "new" case for a used SKS Fob, to make it look like "NEW" on an unsuspecting buyer.

3) Did the old FOB have 100% functioning SKS?

4) Maybe all the FOB slots have already been taken due to lost FOBs, unknown to you? You didn't say if you were original, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, owner.

5) 12V is adequately charged?