1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key doesn't work, only works if I insert in slot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by franken1313, Mar 17, 2018.

1. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My smart key doesn't work anymore. It won't open the doors or turn on the car as "smart wireless" I have to press the unlock/lock buttons and insert the key to start the car.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Try to turn the smart key system SKS off and on again with key button under the steering wheel. Button out is SKS turned on.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a CR 2032 battery in the fob, try replacing it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of the above. ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The CR battery did die so I replaced it and that's when I started having this problem. Everything works I just don't have the smart functions anymore. Opening the door and starting the car with key in my pocket.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you try the key button?

If it started when replacing the key battery then maybe the key was somehow damaged? Or just somehow not working? Try removing and installing the battery into the key?

If you have another key it should then still work. If you don’t have another key then I don’t know if you can program a new SKS key without having a working SKS key. Yet another reason to have at least two keys for the Prius.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you a photographer??? So am I

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was, then I got a phone. :oops:

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After a fashion. It's my favorite hobby.

I know what you mean. We went to the beach today and I left the Nikon at home. But the iPhone 8+ can do some pretty cool stuff, especially using Halide. But even the built in software now has some cool features using the dual camera setup.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Helen E

Helen E Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am REALLY glad that you two have “found each other” and have mutual loves--photography. Can you guys help me here? Please I’m getting very depressed.
    I have a 2006 Prius with 67K miles. I was FORCED to move away from Hawai’i to the hinterlands of Atlanta, GA. $1600 just for car then $1.50/# for household goods. Wish I were back In Hawai’i! But...we basically have two cars in the islands: Toyota (Camry, RAV4, and Prius) and the Honda Civic so that kids can put racing stuff on the cars so that they can race on the Interstate at night or do four wheel drifts down from Tantalus.(Google it on maps of Oahu)

I took my Prius in for regular maintenance and they needed to replace the tie rods? $1100. (BTW I’m a 70 y/o former trauma surgeon who got my start in the 44th Medical Battalion in DaNang--two tours--only woman MD--so I’m not completely dumb--just uneducated w cars)
    I had gotten a rental car then had a heart attack so was in Emory hospital in At v lanta for two weeks. I took the rental back and was charged for 14 days--even though it sat in the ER parking lot the whole time. Picked up my Prius, paid the bill, and drove home--30 miles. About a week after getting home I noted that my “spare” key was the key returned to me with the dealership tag attached and my usual fob...gone. My “usual key” was put together w tiny strips of duct tape and transparent tape. I took both in to get new batteries. It’s somewhere inside as I can’t lock my car and it starts even though my second key is inside the house--I’m not carrying my purse or wallet. Just wearing an old t-shirt and scrub pants--NOTHING in pockets.

I tried to talk to this service dept and the dept I used in Honolulu. Neither one ever heard of the “KEY” button at the base of the steering column or anything about deactivating it. I live by the Alabama border and the two times I had to call AAA was to jumpstart the 12 volt battery. They REFUSED to “touch” the Prius. I had them let me use their NOCO Genius G3500 for jumpstarting and showed the AAA drivers where to attach the cables--both in the fuse box under the hood and then in the back where the 12 volt is stowed.

But NO ONE at either the Georgia service department or by phone with the Honolulu dealership could help. Neither knew ANYTHING about the “KEY” button (or “SET” button) at the base of the steering column. I took the car apart. I even borrowed a mechanic’s creeper and using a flashlight looked under the front end assembly. Between seats, under the seats, put down the back seats, took out my spare wheel.
    Sure is clean now--but no fob.

HELP!! PLEASE! Mahalo nui loa--Thank you VERY MUCH!!!
    ALOHA HELEN

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you looked in all the cubby holes, including the "secret" draw at the front of the centre console?

Also, have you heard the old adage "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"?

bisco likes this.
  12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you saying that the car does not have a Key button?

All cars with smart key have this button.
    It enables/disables the Smart Key/Smart Start system.
    (Cars without smart key do not have the button)

It is basically near the driver's left knee on the lowest part of the dash.

When the button is pressed out, smart key is enabled.
    When the button is pressed in, smart key is disabled.

#12 ericbecky, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Cometflash likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Until you find the hidden fob, @Helen E, this is from page 34 of the 2007 owner's manual:
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 8.34.17 AM.png
    And thank you for your service to our country in a really really tough situation.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And that car rental company, ugh. Maybe contact their management level, they might have some decency.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can we please get back to photography now?:rolleyes:

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is the 12v health?

17. Prius Jim

Prius Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My key fob does everything it’s suppose to except start the car. I have to insert it in the slot in order to start the car. It started after I accidentally forgot to turn off the car and walked away from it. Any ideas?

18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two possibilities come to mind. One is that maybe the fob battery is getting weak and is just strong enough to reach the receiver in the door from your pocket but not strong enough to reach the dash.

Another is that maybe you accidentally hit the button that turns on and off the smart key function. But I think that would also disable the door function.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 8.33.44 AM.png

Cometflash and JimboPalmer like this.
  19. Prius Jim

Prius Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for the response, I have replaced the battery on my keyfob and I also checked to make sure that smart function is on. I even tried pushing the start button with the keyfob and it is not recognized.

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sure seems odd that it would do that after walking away with the car on. I've done that lots of times with no ill effects. You might have to take it to a locksmith or a Toyota dealer.