1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key dying??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Angels Fan, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Angels Fan

Angels Fan Junior Member

I apologize if this is a repeat - I did a search but couldn't find a similar problem.

I've had my 2007 Prius for 2 months now and am IN LOVE! Only one small quirk. At first, the Smart Key was great - it would unlock once I got "in range" no problem. Then after a while, I noticed I had to loiter by the door for a few seconds for it to unlock. Now it only unlocks if I take the fob out of my pocket and wave it around right next to the door. Sometimes not even then. Not worth the time - I've been clicking the unlock button as I walk up. I kind of miss the "magic" unlock, though.

FYI - I usually carry my keys in my front pocket or my purse. Car still starts just fine once I'm inside.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!!!!!!

2. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

The owner's manual mentions something about the SKS transmitter and cell phone proximity. Check it out.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi Angels Fan

There have been reports of having the fob near or adjacent to a cellphone interferes with the smart key function. Do you have your cellphone next to your fob?

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angels Fan @ Apr 7 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]419415[/snapback]</div>
    If the fob spends a lot of time near the car, it can run the fob's battery down quickly. Like my family room couch is about 5 feet from the driver's door of the car when it is in the garage. I think the manual says something about 15 feet to keep the fob in a low power mode, but the thing is in a higher power state when it gets to 3 feet or so from the car's door when locked. Look for the red LED on the fob as you approach your car when it is locked. Mine starts blinking about 5 feet from the driver's door (couch range!).

I'd try replacing the fob's battery and see if that solves the problem. It may have spent too much time at the dealer's too close to the car before you picked it up if you don't think it has at home.

- Tom

5. Angels Fan

Angels Fan Junior Member

Thanks for the tips! I keep my keys by the front door, which is very close to the driveway. I'll move them and also give it a shot sans cell phone. You guys are the best!!!!!!!

6. nwpa

nwpa New Member

" Look for the red LED on the fob as you approach your car when it is locked. Mine starts blinking about 5 feet from the driver's door (couch range!)."

I just learned that the fob has a red LED. This car and the systems continually amazes me!

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    mine still inexplicably does this, and it's not the battery or my phone. sometimes i have to take it out of my bag and hold it in front of the door, or in front of the power button. or both! :angry: we've been meaning to take a scantool to it to change the frequency that the car looks for the fob but never got around to it... still doesn't really explain it since it's only my fob and not DH's. i think we'll probably end up getting a new one while still in warranty.

8. unit_juno

unit_juno New Member

Oh yes, the cell phone in the same pocket as the key fob screws mine up so I just have the key itself in one pocket, and all of my other things in the other. lol

9. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Every once in a while mine exhibits the same behavior that Galaxee noted. I don't have my cell phone on usually, so I wouldn't think it would interfere (or would it?)

10. anj48

anj48 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 7 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]419574[/snapback]</div>
    This can be specific to certain locations. My Smart Key does not work when I am in certain parking places in the garage where I work, in others nearby it works but is sluggish - some sort of interference here I presume. Otherwise my Smart Key always works perfectly.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my sks does this at home in the morning, and also at our last house, when i get to work it won't lock, couple times i've taken it over for DH to do something to it, the keys will be on the passenger seat and it won't do it. i wish it was only area specific.

of course, we keep on forgetting to mess with it...

12. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 10 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]421162[/snapback]</div>
    Some areas have more EMI than others. My secure key bermuda triangle is the airport parking lot. Although the exact effect varies with location and time. Overhead UFO's have the same effect.

13. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To those of you who would like to know more about how a typical PKE works(passive keyless entry a.k.a. smart key system),
    here is an article on EETimes.com

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml;j...cleID=187002723

In summary, the communication starts at 125K Hz (from base station, the Prius, to your transponder). If the command is
    valid, the transponder sends out encripted codes to the base station with (315, 433, 868 or 915 MHz) UHF signal. (yes, that is close to some of the GSM bands, 800/900). I can imagine that if you are close to any GSM station, the SKS may be affected. Just my guess. Not sure about CDMA/TDMA frequency.

Toyota's SKS was made by Tokai-rika.co.jp. I imagine the system should be very similar to what was described in the article.
    Just for your info.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we got a new smartkey today to replace my stupefied one :D DH also reduced time between pulses the car sends out looking for the key. i bet this takes care of it.