1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by STU EKSTRAND, Sep 19, 2009.

1. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How are you storing the key? Where do you keep it when not in use?

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The SKS battery of my Gen-II fob has been going for 4 years. It is being used on daily basis.
    It is placed inside the 1st drawer of a desk, on which there is a quad-core Dell PC, on which there are two cell phone chargers, and cell phones (sometimes). Right next to the PC, there is a table lamp. Yet, it has lasted four years and still going.

EMF of different frequencies will not affect the fob. Don't be paranoid about it.
    Cell phone frequencies are within ranges. Their secondary harmonics will likely affect the fobs.
    Just don't put them close to each other (such as the same pocket).

3. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree not to be paranoid that you'll have a problem because you keep your key fob near such electronics, but since this guy does have a problem, it might be smart to work backward from that and see what might be causing it. Perhaps some particular thing he has near his extra fob storage spot is draining the battery.

4. zjkozlica

zjkozlica New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi I have may Prius for one month and have problem with smart key when rain dont wont to open door just sound alarm. Did any one have same problem? I have been at the dealer but buger work just fine.

5. mccats

mccats New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad it was just the batteries. I wanted to mention that last winter we went to Tampa, FL and stayed at the Hyatt downtown. It is between a bunch of tall buildings, a police station, I believe they said a TV or radio station, free downtown WI-FI and I think a cell phone company. We had our 2007 Camry with Smart Key and after stopping out front to go and check in, the car gave us an error message that it could not dect the key and it would not start. Of course the valets helped us out and just took the key fob and placed it next to the start switch and got it to start. Had to use the key to get into it when it was locked. Neither FOB would work. After panicing we pulled out the manual and read about electronic interference issues. We also called the dealer who just recommended a new battery and then found a place and purchased a new battery.

After installing the battery the jeweler said, you know we are in a dead zone down here don't you? Well, come to find out....that was it. We were just in a dead zone and we didn't need a new battery. Everything worked fine when we drove to the beach and everywhere else. We had friends who had an Avalon with Smart Key and were meeting us the day after we got there. So they were happy we had everything figured out before they arrived. Their car gave the same error message.

So in downtown Tampa anyway, there are some electronic interernces that can give you some problems with Smart Keys. Never happened anywhere else.

I've read that there is another dead zone around the Empire State building, but I don't know that for a fact. This same article I read said something about holding tin foil or a tin can above the FOB. If I go to Tampa again will have to remember my tin foil to see if that works. Unlocking a car with a key is tough! LOVE MY SMART KEY!!! :)

Here are a couple of articles on the subject: Electronic Bermuda Triangles - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars
    In downtown Tampa, the case of the misbehaving cars - St. Petersburg Times

6. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Another thing to consider is how far from the car you store the fobs when you park your car. If you hang them near the door from your garage, and the location is within five or ten feet, it is possible to run down the battery in the fob. I noticed this in my Gen II Prius and I keep the fobs in rooms as far from the garage as possible. I recall seeing this in the owners manual and it states to keep them more than ten or fifteen feet away if I recall correctly. The fobs for the Prius lasted 4 years and I replaced the ones in my 07 Camry hybrid after 3 years. The Camry had a message that popped up this past spring stating the remote battery was weak, a really useful message.