1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key functionality dead after chicken dance procedure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jeremnyc, Dec 1, 2019.

1. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I performed the chicken dance and my new fob works for starting the car (in the slot) and locking/unlocking using the remote keys. The old (was a functioning smart key before chicken dance) no longer functions as a smart key. It will also lock and unlock the doors and will start the car when inserted into the slot. The new key was completely new and should have taken the "codes." I believe...I made a mistake :cry: in the programming and hit the unlock instead of lock as the step 9 of the chicken dance...and I really hope this wasn't an irreversible error. (From what I read on the forum, it seems like removing keys is not part of the chicken dance functionality, but I am writing to inquire.)

I have read the forum in search of similar issues and will start with the following:
    1. replace CR2032 battery in old fob (It was replaced recently, so I am skeptical this will work)
    2. press smart key button 2x under the dash.

Does anyone have additional thoughts? I get the blinking red key icon when I enter the car. When you try to start, you get the yellow key warning (similar to what I would see if I left the car running in the past and exited the car while running.)

2008 Prius.

Thanks!