1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key - Health Hazard??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by esetter, Jun 8, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Aug 7 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]491930[/snapback]</div>
    the oscillator stops sensing after the car starts or after about 10-15 minutes if you don't start the car. So you can, in fact, leave the car with the fob and it will continue to run and be drivable.

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    So, AFTER the Prius powers up, the smart key RF is nil? How does it "know" the FOB left the car...such as in the below scenario:

I know about the car being drivable without the FOB (you get the warning beep and light on steady on the dash, the one that shows a key crossed out, yet the car remains ready to drive)

I would think at this point (car on, FOB out of range) that the car could only know it has the FOB back within range by emitting an RF signal that the FOB then transmits back to the car. I'm only using what I've observed...the crossed out key light goes out when the FOB is back in range of the powered-on car.

Am I close?

I suppose it's a chance (using smart key with a pacemaker) not worth taking if you know there's a safer way (turning off smart key). At this point I'm not sure what I'd do if it were me with the pacemaker.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Aug 7 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]491944[/snapback]</div>
    hmmm, you're right, it does know when the fob leaves....does it start sensing when the door opens? If you pass the fob out the window does the car still beep? Dang, I don't know.

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of like is the fridge light on when you close the door. :D