1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key issue (2008)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ajford, Jun 15, 2016.

1. ajford

ajford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an issue with my 2008 Prius.

I have an '08 with Smart Key. I have a weird problem I haven't been able to find via google. My Smart Key won't start the car, but it will open the doors (via touch, not the fob buttons). I can also lock the doors using the vehicle smart key buttons (those little plastic buttons on the door handle & trunk).

I just bought a new fob and chicken danced it, and it too will now work for the smart key entry and lock, but won't start the engine.

Both will of course work if inserted into the slot.

Is there some kind of internal antenna that may have gone bad or something?

Thanks!

2. Andersonsmog

Andersonsmog New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever find a solution? My vehicle is doing the same thing

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Front Interior SKS oscillator (aka antenna) is in the center console for the Prius.

Was the ability to start (make READY) the car w/o inserting SKS Fob, into the FOB slot, ever working before?

It could be unfortunate circumstance that the internal FRONT oscillator went bad. Don't ever recall reading about a bad front antenna though. However, it is a part, granted electrical, that can go bad too.