1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cameronarrow, Mar 2, 2019.

1. cameronarrow

cameronarrow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We bought a used 2004 Prius that came with only 1 smart key. It is acting strangely and we can not figure out a solution. We have to use the mechanical key inserted into the door lock to unlock the car, then we can start the car normally without inserting it into the dash. After the car is shut off, all functions of the remote work perfectly for about 30 seconds and then stop working except for keyless start. We have changed the battery in the remote and the 12VDC battery in the trunk and neither helped. We bought a new key and tried to add it with both chicken dance and Techstream and neither would work. We have 2 other gen 2 Priuses with smart keys and the keys work perfect on them. We are stumped. Can anybody help ?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, just to clarify, neither the keyless nor the remote lock/unlock works on the remote you have?

Does the car start if you put the key in the slot?

Does the keyless lock/unlock work on the passenger side and/or rear hatch? If it does, then I would check the antenna in the driver's door, the connections and wiring.

If it not working from any door, it is likely the previous owner did something whacky to get a working key.

It maybe that you need to get the dealer to reset and reseed the ECU and then add your existing key. If that won't work, you will need to buy a new SKS key and add that. Once you have a completely working key, you can buy another key from an online Toyota dealer and add it yourself with Techstream or the "Chicken Dance", if that would be cheaper than buying two keys from the dealer and having her add it.

Hope that helps.

3. cameronarrow

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

To be clear, Immediately after we shut off the car, All functions of the remote work perfectly as they should, but about 30 seconds later, all functions of the remote stop working except for starting. At this point, all the remote will do is start the car with the fob not in the slot or with it in the slot

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start with a volt meter and test both new batteries, although, i suspect there's something wrong with an ecu

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that is very peculiar, and I can't recall similar symptoms reported previously her on PC.

When you say, "all functions of the remote stop working except for starting," does that after the 30 seconds, you tried to lock/unlock the car from the passenger side and the answer to the question below is no?
    You haven't mentioned any lights on the dash, so I'll assume there aren't any, but if you have access to a scanner, it might pay to check for codes, anyway. Not all immobiliser codes cause a dash light, e. g. B2795. You get this code if you try and start the car using a fob for another car. While the Transponder key ECU sets a code, there are no dash lights.

Without something more concrete to work with, I not sure much more help can be offered.

Let us know how you get on and if you finally work it out.

6. cameronarrow

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

We have multiple scanners including techstream. There are no codes at all.

Before the remote times out, the remote works perfectly in all aspects from all doors. After the remote times out, the car cannot be locked or unlocked from any door using the remote buttons or with the smart key proximity.

We have tested and tried different batteries in the remote and the 12 Volt battery in the car. The batteries are not the issue.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What’s the 12 volt read at the front jump point not at the battery at the jump point under the hood in the black plastic fuse box?

Skibob likes this.
  8. cameronarrow

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    12.8 Volts

edthefox5 likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any after market products installed on her?

10. Bill Byrd

Bill Byrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm just going to post this fix here since my issue was very similar to Gen II Prius Smart Key doesn't work issues posted elsewhere on this site. I was getting the flashing red light and no smart key functions would work. I would have to insert SK in the dash to start the car and use the metal key on drivers side to unlock and lock the car. After a few weeks, I noticed the light had stopped coming on as well and still it did not function.

The fix was as follows and I've used this to fix many electronic devices that were formerly considered DOA. What I did was I peeled the front button seal off (since I was planning to replace the $10 outer case if the fix I was planning worked). I then inspected the electronics which seemed to have dirt due to the broken button seal at the top where the "lock" button is. I then got my CRC brand silicone spray and flushed out the case with this. I then blew it dry with compressed air and repeated the procedure with silicone spray and then compressed air. After a final wipe down with a paper towel, I inserted a known good battery and it worked immediately. I suspect the exposure to dirt and possibly even moisture had probably bridged some of the tiny IC connections from the outside on the circuit board and this cleaning procedure fixed it. You could probably use a circuit board cleaner if you want to be really safe and this would probably work as well.

If you try this I seriously recommend the low VCOF CRC brand silicone spray as it has very little caustic solvents which could interfere with the beneficial effects of the silicone itself.

ydpplqbd, Skibob and bisco like this.
  11. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the sage advice.