1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by yaoaoatgyf, Aug 27, 2017.

1. yaoaoatgyf

yaoaoatgyf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2007. Bought with almost dead HV batt. Replaced with new Toyota HV batt.

Car runs fine.

I did a search for smart key and there are many threads.

Car came withon one key fob, and no small "dumb" key. Key fob has the silver Toyota logo.
    No panic button (taped over.... looks like the key was damaged at some point) but that doesn't bother me.
    What does bother me is having no second smart key and not even one dumb key.

I realize I can go to any dealer, they can look up the key code by vin. I have seen some of the pricing horror stories on this.
    Any alternatives to getting a dumb key?

Also, found the "chicken dance" procedure in another thread. Does it really work? I see genuine Toyota smart keys on ebay (that also include the dumb key).

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The answer to "key" questions is always the same:

Call around to a few locksmiths in your area.
    Often there is one or two that specialize in automotive key and lock systems.
    They often can provide the same service as a car dealer at about half the price.

OR.......if you really want to screw around with it and maybe save a few extra pennies.......
    wait for more replies here.

You are absolutely right to be VERY nervous about having only one key.

3. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By all means, get a key made for the door in case your key fob battery fails after you lock your car. I had to use mine this morning after paying for my gas. Even if you get the new fob, you'll have to have the metal key cut by the dealer or a locksmith. Once you get one made you can get another one copied.

The chicken dance should work for a new key. I added a used key to mine, but I couldn't get the smart key features to work. It would start the car when inserted though. I just bought a blank and had a copy made for my extra fob.

4. yaoaoatgyf

yaoaoatgyf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There is a very good locksmith close to my office. Problem is, unless you get there by about 8:30 he is likely out on a call. Stays very busy. We went by at 10:30 this morning, and he was not in. Will try him in the morning and report back.