1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Replacement Cost

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by geeter, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Let'sGo!

Let'sGo! New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Hi Onvi,

Can you share more information?

Two days ago my house was broken into. The robber took one of my Prius key fobs I had laying on the counter.

My understanding is, I now need to get my car "re-keyed."

I will need a replacement key fob that was stolen and that will need to be "re-seeded" with a new ID programmed into the car.

The other original fob I currently have in my possession will need to be reprogrammed to match this new seed ID.

The lock cylinder in the drivers side door will need to be replaced, and the two physical laser cut keys will need to be cut to match the new lock mechanism.

My local dealers here in San Jose, CA have quoted me about $900+ to do the whole thing. My comprehensive insurance covers it, but I have a $500 deductible. I'm trying to find out if there is a way for me to do this for less than the $500 deductible. Do you think that would be possible using the source you were referring to in your post?

Thanks for letting me know.

2. Onex Prius

Onex Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Locksmith will able to cut your "laser" key for $5 to $10 bucks. Blank mechanical key for all Toyota & Lexus selling on ebay shipped for $4 each and work well.
    If you need programming to your car you'll need brand new fob selling from authorized toyota dealers for around $173 + shipping and TT with cheap knock off mangoose cable.
    The Prius key fob even more expensive than my 2013 Lexus key fob and Prius fob look cheaper. Stop those dealers scam to get extra fob or key program.
    Local Toyota & Lexus owners in Seattle area need program the key fob can pm me, I'll do it for free and take like 30 seconds to be done.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  4. Frances Collins

Frances Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Can you tell me where in Bay Area. I've been quoted around $500,

5. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  6. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just got a spare made, both elec. fob and cut metal key, for about $215 +tax at a local locksmith (Gladd Security, if you happen to be in CNY - no affiliation). They quoted me about $300 for a new one, but said they occasionally are able to order "refurbished" ones at a discount with full functionality, which is what I got.
    It took a few days to get it in after I ordered it, then it took about 3 minutes of work and a 15 minute wait (some part of the programming process) when I got to the shop.
    The "refurbished" fob I got looks brand new, and all features work exactly like the original. From what I could glean from this thread, I probably could have bought an ebay unused fob, programming cable, and have someone cut a metal blank, and I'd only save a few bucks compared to having this locksmith do it for me. And with the established business, if it didn't work, I wouldn't have had to pay!
    All in all, I'm a happy camper. I'd be even happier if I could get a fully functional plain metal key cut at the local hardware store for $2, but compared to dealership prices, this is at least relatively reasonable. And in the unlikely event that her keys get locked in the car again, my wife will be a happy camper having access to a spare! :) That alone is worth the price...
    Andy

Mike500 likes this.
  7. Kenneth Pearce

Kenneth Pearce New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where in the San Francisco Bay Area? i.e. which locksmith? I am in desperate need of a key for a 2004 Prius. Please help! Just lost it this weekend.

8. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The locksmith is located in the town of El Sobrante, Ca , I've talked to the owner over a month ago,
    and Yes! confirmed for my 2013 Prius also $120 complete replacement fob w/the spare key. Very nice guy.....
    pm me for his info & telephone.

bjar likes this.
  9. Kenneth Pearce

Kenneth Pearce New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ovi,

we spoke on the phone, and you said you could come to my place, or I can have my car towed to your shop. Please call me at 510 705 3673. Thanks, Beaux

10. hudcpd

hudcpd New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interested to know the El Sobrante locksmith for a third smart key. Three drivers in the house. Only got two with purchase - both aghast and astounded at the dealer cost.

11. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PM send!

12. Valrayx

Valrayx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi All

I lost my fob key etc. I had to buy a new lazered key from Toyota Canada $100. Thank god I had a key tag for free return to me. Someone dropped it in a letterbox and I got it back. I'm still keen to ge another electronic fob. Only in california? If you know of a Canadian source please write

Thank you!
    Val

13. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not all locksmiths and few dealers have the equipment to make the "side cut" door key so phone around before finding a local place. It's kind of a joke, Toyota has a high tech mechanical key that can only open the drivers door but cannot start the car...if you need to open the car their are plenty of ways to get in (BigEasy, etc). They should have just used a simple key like Gen2 for the door key which can be copied at any hardware store.

TWOPrius likes this.
  14. dy2u1234

dy2u1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lost my key for a 2010 III, can I get the name and phone number too? I'm down in Cupertino. thanks, Doug (dy2u1234)

15. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Santiago is the guy
    Low Price Keys
    very helpful especially if you're in the bay area.

NoMoreNow and dy2u1234 like this.
  16. remster

remster New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Can you let me know which locksmith and if he/she is trustworthy? If the locksmith duplicates a key for you, in theory, can he make another copy and gain have access to your car? Just curious as I've only had "regular" keys where you hand the keys over and they cut it and return both back to you in plain view. Thanks!

17. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the guy in El Sobrante www.lowpricekeys.com
    He is on PriusChat as Ovni
    I'm sure he'll let you watch if you are concerned that he'll make an extra key and steal your car :)

#37 3prongpaul, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  18. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are a lot of thread on keys and the stealerships make a big deal of it, because it is a big money maker for them and Toyota.

I did some extensive research over the past year on the special Keys and the Smart Key remotes.

The only keys that have a record anywhere is the OEM supplied "cut door lock handle entry key."

Neither Toyota or the dealer has any record of the Smart Key remotes programmed into the Smart Key ECU.

The remotes are "programmed" into the ECU with the Toyota TIS Techstream software.

Dealers charge around $100 labor to program a remote and another $100 to "laser cut" a key.

As far as the "laser cut" keys go, they are NOT cut with a laser. The are cut with an automatic duplicating milling machine. The really good ones are basically CNC or computer controlled. They don't need the "key code." I got in a good friendly relationship with my dealer's service manager. He told me that the process is called "tracing." The Lexus dealer across town has a machine and charges his dealership $15 to do one.

Most all well equipped locksmiths can make a key. Mine did not have the key blank, since he said there was not much demand for it. I bought several for less than $2 delivered from China off of eBay. My locksmith charged me $25 to "trace" my key and got it to work in my door handle lock. $27 is a good deal compared to $100 plus at the dealer.

Having heard the all of the nightmare stories of eBay and USED Smart Keys, I purchased a BRAND NEW one from an on line Toyota dealer for $130 delivered.

After two tries, I purchased this "mongoose" cable clone off of Amazon;

Yes, one o them is my review.

It took 15 minutes to "ADD" the NEW Smart Key.

I didn't get the cheapest and lest expensive deal. I got a great deal compared to the $550 that my dealer that was obligated to Toyota to charge.

The added benefit is that I easily programmed all of my doors to unlock when I grabbed the driver's door handle. In the future, I will be able to read all of the OBDII data and even read and add to the TPMS configuration.

SageBrush likes this.
  19. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Remster...Copy a key and keep it for themselves?? That's so old school. Why would any one waste a key. Any locksmith can get into a prius in seconds without a key.
    I have timed myself and can get into a locked 04-09 Prius and drive away with it in about a minute with no keys. About 17 minutes for the 10+
    Good thing I'm not a thief.

Rude person's...Be careful when using the mongoose cable clones. I have tried one and it would freeze. I only use the original cable now ($500+ ripoff) BUT Im comfortable to know the customers car will not be affected in any way.

20. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are bad ones. I got one of them with bad software first.

The second one worked just fine. I don't have customers. I just use it for my own car. I'm talking about Gen III Prii. I have no experience with the Gen II.

Yeah, the weather stripping between the window and the top of the door on most cars is held by plastic clips and usually only one screw. Break the plastic end held by the screw, an you have a half inch gap that you can see right down with a flashlight. Just pull or push the lock lever and you're in.