1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Replacement Cost

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by geeter, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ghostwhowalks

ghostwhowalks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok I am lost, I have searched but cannot get the right answer.
    Everyone talks about un programmed FOB(never used before key fob), why does it have to be never used before key fob .
    isn't The car learning all the FOB's which can open it. The FOB is not getting programmed, the car is.
    What am I missing here, obviously I am new here and have missed the logic of why it has to be never used before key fob and cannot be
    a old fob from a junk yard.

2. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ghost... In general, 04-09 Prius MIGHT accept a used key. Just need the proper equipment and know how. Not many locksmiths know the proper procedure of adding keys in a certain order or resetting car properly. Stick with a new key.
    If you want to take risk of programming yourself, get key at dealer. Be very careful on eBay unless seller is a dealer.
    If you don't do procedure correctly, you may lock key and it will become useless.

10+ will accept used keys IF the used key is working 100% have had customers bring in keys that look new but at closer inspection, key has water damage.

So for 04-09 Prius I use new keys only. 10+ I get most from my buddy at the dealer. Keys are inspected and fully tested before I program onto a customers car. Full like new warranty given.

athlete11 likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The fob is programmed with a CarID. Then the car is programmed with the FobID. A new, never programmed fob has an empty CarID, which is set the first time the programming process is done. A programming trick was identified several years after Gen2 came out that allows a CarID to be replaced with a new one. After the smart ECU is reset, the first fob programmed gets a new CarID even though it already has one. Resetting the smart ECU is passcode protected. Dealers, and others with a "Security Professional" account with Toyota have access to the passcode lookup process. Locksmiths have access to different equipment. And then there's this guy in Lithuania who must have reverse engineered Techstream...

Once the CarID is set, the smart ECU can be programmed with the fob id(s). If you have 2 old fobs, then the smart ECU has to be reset twice, once for each fob.

There is also a maximum number of fobs, 5 for Gen2, 7 for Lexus, and I don't know for Gen3. Even a new fob can't be added if the maximum has already been reached. Techstream can reset the count down to one (no passcode required), or zero (with passcode).

Gen2 has a separate immobilizer system that doesn't know about old/new. Thus any Gen2 fob (smart, dumb, old, new) can be programmed for use in the keyslot (subject, again, to the maximum count).

athlete11, ghostwhowalks and JC91006 like this.
  4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Gen III will accept up to five keys.

Basically, there is an eprom in the key itself that receives a programming code.

With the used key, the eprom has to be erased or reset.

I'm NOT into gambling on a USED key. So, buying a NEW never used one from a legitimate Toyota dealer is worth the extra cost, even if that cost $130-$140.

#44 Mike500, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  5. Doug6

Doug6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ovni--
    Where??! My new used '12 Prius came w/only 1 fob, the good local key shop wants $260, & said it's about $600 at a dealer.

Rude person's, try reading the rest of the thread. A new blank on eBay costs more than the $130-140 you imagine from a dealer. It's probably 3 times that at a dealer, & I doubt a dealer will sell you, a non-locksmith, a blank to program yourself. They'll insist on programming it too, charging $200-300 labor for a few minutes' work.

#45 Doug6, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

You're the one who should be reading the previous posts in this thread;

2012 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

Less than $2 delivered from Asia on eBay.

You'll need this to program it.

For me, I prefer to have three(3) keys. Given what is cost to replace, if you lost the one, it is really cheap in comparison.

7. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most info's was one page back Doug6, but here you go, Since you're in Berkeley you're close by to him.....
    Low Price Keys - Vehicles Only - El Sobrante, CA | Yelp

8. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just purchased a new FOB with key, extra key, programmer and locksmith cost to cut two keys for around $150 total investment. FOB and keys work great.

9. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

10. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

11. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We just purchased a 2013 Prius Plugin. The dealer only gave us 1 remote keyfob. We're "gifting" our 2008 Prius to our son. There are two key fobs that we have for that car but he only needs one. Can we re-program one of the older ones to work in the newer car?

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2008 and 2013 keys are different. Did you buy certified preowned?they should have 2 keys

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can a new smartKey be programmed using only an original key without having the car available ?
    Mostly I am curious whether Ovni can start a mail-order business for people who want a 3rd key.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    doesn't he already have that going? send you a "3rd" key you program yourself.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That would then take the path Rude person's followed, right ?
    I like the idea of avoiding use of the VCI cable clone, and OVNI appears to have a less expensive source of new OEM Fobs than I can buy.

Lastly, if things are otherwise fairly equal, I'm happier sending money to Ovni than a Toyota dealership.

16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    NO, adding a NEW key to the car requires it to be programmed into the specific car's ECU with TechStream or another compatible program.

The little brass colored tag that came with the keys of a NEW car only includes the code for the "cut" insert key for the door lock.

17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My car is a Prius"v." After checking numerous sources and reviewing many eBay listings and consulting with my dealer, who was more than kind to me, I settled on an EXACT "guaranteed" factory NEW remote at a fair price.

I might have saved $30 or maybe $40 otherwise, but I wanted easy and guaranteed results.

Buying the wrong key and trying to return it will cost you that much in time and aggravation.

The dealer, the VCI clone cable, or a capable locksmith are the only ways that a NEW key can be added for a Gen III Prius.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is either ignorant or lying to you.

SageBrush likes this.
  18. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am happy with the route I took on an extra FOB and keys, plus I have a cable and software now.

19. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

20. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can anyone here post the actual link to amazon for the mongoose cable they used. Several talk about it, but no links show up.