1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Stuck - 12V Battery Dead

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phil Rossner, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Phil Rossner

Phil Rossner New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My former partner still has our 2006 Prius. It had been having a few issues before we split up that indicated that the 12V battery was getting weak. Since we split up a few months ago, she has had to have it boosted at least once. Most recently, she apparently plugged in the smart key - the car wouldn't start and she couldn't get the smart key out. To me, this indicates that the 12V battery is toast. I found a replacement of the battery at our Canadian Tire that is exactly right for this model/year. In the meantime, my ex phoned the Toyota dealership and they said there was 2 types of batteries for the Prius and if she had the smart key version, then she would need the more expensive battery. Now she is freaked out that I am going to put in this other battery for her. I told her once it is in, the smart key will release, the car will start and everything will be hunky dory, but she doesn't believe me. Any comments on this would be most helpful!! Thanks!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let your ex think whatever she wants, she is your ex.

If the battery fits, it'll work. Toyota offers a smaller battery for non smart key cars, but even that battery will work. It's just smaller

3. Phil Rossner

Phil Rossner New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Much appreciated!

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By smaller we mean both physically smaller and has a smaller capacity.

The Toyota OEM non-SKS battery is rated at 36 Ah and the SKS battery is rated at 45 Ah. The SKS battery is longer between the battery posts, which is usually described as the width.

If your battery is rated at 45 Ah or more, has the correct physical dimensions, has the positive post on the left (with the posts nearest to you as you look at it) and has JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) size posts (not SAE as standard in US vehicles), then there will be no problem fitting it.

hope this helps.

JC91006 likes this.
  5. Phil Rossner

Phil Rossner New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your help... had to end up getting the Toyota approved OEM battery with the JIS size posts! Argh! Live and learn... anyway, it is fixed. Many thanks to all who responded!

bisco likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I hope the ex paid