1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smart key - unlock TWO doors?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MattFL, Jan 13, 2008.

1. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've got the 2008 Prius, package 2 with SKS, currently configured to open only the drivers door when the drivers handle is grabbed. I want both drivers side doors to unlock when the driver's handle is grabbed, but NOT the passenger side doors. Is there any way to do this? My wife takes our 2-yr old son around and she needs to unlock the back driver's side door to put him in the child seat, but we DO NOT want the passenger side doors to unlock at all for safety reasons.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No. Not without something aftermarket or do it yourself.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, can't be done. In fact, I know of no cars that actually do that. It's usually driver's only or all 4 doors (5 if it's a minivan or SUV or hatchback with power hatch/tailgate releases).

Couldn't you just reach over and manually unlock the rear left door? It should be easy enough to reach.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A good car electronics installer should be able to set up an alarm system with specific control of one door, or, in this case, the left doors. It's not an everyday request, so they'll have to think about it and it may cost a little more than a standard installation.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Alternately, you can disconnect the electric door locks on the passenger side, then set the SKS to unlock all doors. Of course, if you do that, you will have to manually unlock the passenger side.

Tom

6. westex39

westex39 New Member

Grab the passenger side door handle. It will open all the doors.

7. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everyone, after reading the manual I was afraid this was not possible. :( The goal is to get my wife and son into the car asap without unlocking the passenger doors. She's usually carrying my son and an arm load of stuff so it's difficult for her to open the drivers door to get to the back locks. We've had some abductions, murders and robberies here lately so getting in the car ASAP without having to stop and fumble for anything is of high importance. I'll probably end up configuring it to unlock everyhing when the driver's door is grabbed.

8. G0ldenchild562

G0ldenchild562 New Member

How do I program it so all doors unlock?

9. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is for the '07 TCH, but I believe it would work the same way on your car:
    1. The "POWER" switch must be turned off.
    2. The unlocking operation has two modes. To change the mode, within 1 meter (~3 ft) of the vehicle, on the FOB, press LOCK switch AND and the: trunk opener; unlock; or alarm buttons at the same time and keep held for at least five seconds. (Suggest you don't use alarm button. Could make all types of noise if you make a mistake and press ALARM before the LOCK button.):p
    3. When the mode has been changed, the answer back alarm will sound: 2 beeps -- All doors will be unlocked. 3 beeps -- Only driver's door will open (if door unlocked with driver's side SKS). If Passenger door open w/ SKS, all doors will unlock.
    4. Repeat to change the selection.
    Data was gleaned from my Owner's Manual.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's the same in the Prius. I remember playing around with it and I used the lock and the panic button

11. G0ldenchild562

G0ldenchild562 New Member

12. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I just tried this with my 2009 Prius and got it to work, and I have Smart Key. But it was a little tricky. The 2 beeps or 3 beeps are actually pairs of beeps. So for 2 beeps it is actually beep beep pause beep beep. And 3 beeps is actually beep beep pause beep beep pause beep beep. You also have to wait a little while after you have released the keys on the FOB for it to set/register. At first I thought I had totally disabled the keyless unlocking, but then it started working right. Also, I had to use lock & panic, first attempts to use lock & unlock did not produce any beeps.