1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key works but not in the dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by LNtoast, Oct 20, 2016.

1. LNtoast

LNtoast New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried search for this issue, but did not find it and apologize if it exists somewhere already.

My 2006 Prius does not recognize the key when inserted into the key slot in the dash. It still works in smart key mode and I can start the car, but i have had my key battery go dead in the past and am worried if this happens again I will be stuck.

I bought the car used and it only came with one key so I do not have another as a back up.

Any ideas why the key works wireless, but not when inserted in the key slot?

Thanks in advance

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome!

Strange behavior. Replacing the fob battery is an easy first step, and probably worth while at this point since you don't know when it was changed last. Directions are in your manual (quite easy). Just make sure when you put the cover back together the buttons are not stuck down. Not sure, however, that this will solve your issue (I am concerned it might be with the proximity reader in the dash, which is not fob battery powered).

While the one key is functional, you should have a second one mated to the car. It is straightforward (although a tad involved) to add a second key as long as you have an original, but if you lose that (or it stops working for some reason) the fix is much more expen$ive. I do not know, however, if it will be able to read the chip in the FOBs for programming if the dash slot is not working).

Always a good idea to have the 12v small battery checked on an older, used car as when that goes low, strange behaviors emerge.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That key is not an original key. To get that dash function working again, you would need to reseed the car. That means it will erase all the stored keys and add the one key you have....and another backup if you choose

At least the smart key works

#3 JC91006, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the case on the fob replaced there a black piece of plastic at the end of the controller that goes into the car that someone forgot to swap it just looks like plastic

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.