1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Plug

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by markabele, Dec 19, 2017.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a first gen Plug In Prius and would love a way to remotely start and/or stop charging. Has anyone done this with a smart plug? They are pretty cheap right now. Is it doable? Anyone have experience?

I know some don't do 15 amps, but this one looks like it has plenty of power:

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see two things that would make me a little reluctant to do that, even though it looks like it would sure be nice.

1. This comment on page 94 of the OM:
    ●If charging is interrupted, remove the charging connector before removing the plug.
    I think the reason is that there is a fair amount of current going through there and you can get some sparks. The end plugged into the car is more enclosed, plus, when you press the release button, it stops charging before you pull it out. So no sparks there. I don't know how long the contacts in the smart plug's relays would withstand being used basically as a high amperage switch.

2. The outlet is rated at 15 A. Since my PiP draws over 13 A, that's cutting it a little close and the smart plug might fail on you.

I don't see how it would hurt the car, though, so it's a pretty inexpensive experiment. It'll be interesting to see if someone has already been testing this idea.

3. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thoughts. I agree though. For $20 I think I'm going to try it. Should get it in a couple days and report back.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The PiP and other L1 chargers should draw closer to 12A, not 13A. Because by code, you shouldn't draw more than 80% of rated capacity for longer times. Meaning a 15A breaker should only see 12A through it continuously, 15A peak.

As for sparking not a concern if you buy the right product. In the smart switches I have made, I use zero-cross solid-state relays. Meaning when they turn on and off, they do so when the AC voltage is zero. Most smart electronics do this because hot-plugging or un-plugging is a bad idea in general. And since AC goes to zero 60 times a second in the US, it is just easier to delay to the next zero cross to get it done, it is imperceptible to the user. Some of the cheapest things out there, may not though. Fairly easy to test with an oscilloscope and just look at the waveform. If it just looks like it stops perfectly every time, it is zero cross.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just a pedantic nit: In North America, we use 60Hz AC (most of the rest of the world uses 50Hz). In each of the 60 cycles per second, the voltage crosses zero twice, once in each direction. So zero crossing occur 120 times per second.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correct. I had a brain fart. Been working down in the ultra-low DC core voltage levels for the past couple weeks.

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go for it! I'd like to know how it goes. In fact, I did a brief search for 240v smart switches and Google gave me everything but what I asked for.

Well, my Killawatt might not be all that well calibrated. I never bothered to compare it to my Klein clamp on ammeter. It read 13.8A. But I had it on a 20A circuit, so it was fine either way.

Good point. Hopefully, the one Mark's looking at does that. And I get the brain fart. I have them, too. But I think in polite company, it's called "cranial flatulence," in case you ever stumble across polite company and need that phrase. :LOL:

Edited for typos.

#7 jerrymildred, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    2k1Toaster likes this.
  8. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news! It works perfectly! I've even set it up so I can tell my Google Home to start or stop charging. :)

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great news. Now for the durability test. :D

And if I could just find a 240V one with a NEMA 10-30 (dryer) socket. I guess I could cobble up something if I wanted it badly enough.

10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty confident it will last. Says right on the package is can handle a space heater at 1800 watts.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius