1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Start night time interior light trick

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by captnslur, Nov 2, 2004.

1. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeh.. we dont do daytime running lights here... We put them on when it is raining badly and visibility is low... but then there is the button to change the brightness of the dash lights and MFD illumination.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps on vehicles not equipped with automatic headlights, the "sensor" is just simply a cover without the actual sensor underneath it?

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

OK guys, let me settle this.
    There are two holes in the dash at the spot you are talking about. One has the THERMO sensor for the climate control. It is to detect any solar radiant heat. I believe it is a simple thermistor set in black plastic near a window that would be very sensitive to solar radiation.

The spot next to that is just a spacer in the american market, and the daylight sensor for the automatic headlights in the canadian market.

Why they couldn't have an auto-on, auto-off in the US I don't know. I know the HIDs can't be DRLs, but they can be turned off.

4. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan, you are the man.