1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smartkey and Keyless entry not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cesli, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry if you've already answered this, but I just can't read through all the bad information in this thread.

Does the red light in the upper corner of your key fob come on when you press a button?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    See my Post #3 above.

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What about:
    "Remember, the SKS Prius' CERTIFICATION ECU burns the KEY ID and VEHICLE ID onto a virgin SKS Fob; this SKS Fob is to be only used w/ the originating Prius. IF you want to retain SKS functionality. A used SKS fob can be used on another SKS Prius, but only as a dumb fob (insert to start car) and NO remote lock/unlock capability?"

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Forgot to add:
    the necessity of a pricey dealer RESET and RESEED procedure, to RETAIN full SKS functionality with a used SKS fob. Otherwise the used SKS fob acts as a "dumb" fob, requiring insertion into the fob slot on the dash, every time. But you and I know this.​

You and I, also know:
    Many people cheap out and buy uses SKS fobs, hoping to save a few bucks over a new SKS fob, believing they will retain full SKS functionality.​

You and I also know:
    The cost difference of a used SKS fob ($99.94, eBay), is relatively small compared to a NEW SKS fob (~$164.21, Camelback Toyota).
    Given the pricey cost of a RESET and RESEED procedure, shame for an owner to discover that the used SKS fob is defective and can not be added with full SKS functionality. A waste of $200+ dealer RESET & RESEED fee, to save $60 by not buying new.​

I believe every aspect has now been covered. Is there anything else that you see, that I may have omitted?

To summarize for future readers.
    1) A used SKS fob can be added to an SKS Prius. Full SKS functionality (assuming the used SKS fob is not defective) can be maintained, but this requires a Toyota dealer performing a RESET and RESEED procedure. A likely minimum $200+ dealer labor charge.
    2) Given the cost of a used fob (~$100, ebay) vs a new SKS Fob ($164), it is recommended to buy a new SKS Fob when having a dealer perform a RESET and RESEED procedure.
    3) A used SKS fob can be added to an SKS prius as a "dumb" fob, meaning manual insertion into the dash fob slot is required every time, to make the car READY, but this assumes the SKS Prius in question has one working SKS fob for the vehicle.
    4) A new SKS fob can be added to an SKS Prius, w/ FULL SKS functionality, IF the Prius has at least one fully functional SKS fob present, and one available "memory" slot left in the ECU. If so, the owner can self program the new SKS fob.

5. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    5) Only one used SKS key fob can be added each time a RESET is performed.

6. Cesli

Cesli New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The key fob does nothing. It acts as if it’s dead but that was the first thing they check and the battery isn’t bad. I don’t see a light

Attached Files:

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a ripped button. Buy a new case, open up the old one and clean the board

8. Cesli

Cesli New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just planned to buy a whole new key, when dealership got it in key would program but car wouldn’t accept it.

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That makes no sense. Either the service writer doesn't know what he's talking about or the technician doesn't know what he's doing or the technician doesn't want to put in the extra effort required to program your key.

A key either registers to the car or not.

It is a lot faster and easier to add a brand new key if you have a working key.

I would say nine out of 10 keys work after being cleaned. If it were my key, I might remove the circuit board from the case, scrub it with some baking soda and a toothbrush, and put it in a new case with a new battery.

Skibob likes this.
  10. Cesli

Cesli New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m nervous to take it apart. It’s the only way to start my car

Attached Files:

11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be strong. You can do it.

12. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check out CarBit from the playstore. It brought back 8 codes that Torque never saw before. The unpaid version is all I have.

13. EChua5

EChua5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to share that I have the exact same problem. A repair shop ended up quoting me $1000 to install and flash a new ECU to get keys working. I just ended up doing a manual route where I installed a $10 keyless entry module.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool, thanks!(y)

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is one solution, I guess, but it doesn't seem to be SKS, just remote lock/unlock. It is a step up, but only half a solution.

16. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can I do it w techstream?