1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SmartKey not unlocking rear door or hatch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alokeprasad, Dec 6, 2009.

1. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my Prius III Level 3, when I touch the driver door handle, then only the driver door unlocks.
    If I touch the passenger door handle or the hatch lock, then nothing happens.

Is that normal?

It is inconvenient to say the least, to have to use the fob to unlock the hatch when getting to the car with a handful of groceries ...

Aloke Prasad

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep........RTFM........

Dude, ya gotta read the manual the came with the car!!!

The SKS can be PROGRAMMED as to how many doors it unlocks when you touch the hande.

It's all discussed in the Owners manual

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, you have to press buttons on the key fob to make the change so all the doors unlock when the handle is touched. It is in the manual and it is an easy change, I just forget the button presses off hand.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, to have it unlock all the doors when you touch the drivers door handle your do so by holding both buttons on the key fob while inside the vehicle for 5 seconds give or take.

To have it unlock all the doors with one button press on the fob it must be reprogrammed at the dealer. Unless someone knows of another way, I didn't see anything on that...

5. Acre

Acre New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since the interior button that unlocks everything is on the drivers door anyway unlocking that one, then opening the door, then pressing the button works for me.

6. IraS

IraS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You have a Prius III, which only has one-door SKS. That means that only the driver's door has the sensor which will unlock the doors. There is no sensor on either the passenger's door or on the rear hatch. Only the Prius IV and V have three-door SKS (i.e. sensors on both front doors and on the rear hatch). So, yes, the SKS is working correctly.

The previous replies tell you how to change the SKS to unlock all doors when you touch the sensor on the driver's door.

4 people like this.
  7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a common confusion - I wonder how much Toyota saved (and lowered the price) by skipping on the 3 door SKS.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, that's for sure. I think this was a mistake on Toyota's part.

Tom

9. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I changed mine so that touching the driver-side handle unlocks all the doors.
    I find that most convenient.

However when approaching with things to stow in the back, I usually
    just press the "unlock" button (on the fob) twice, to unlock all the doors
    and avoid going first to the driver's door.

10. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it was $10 per car, then Toyota saves $1million for every 100k cars sold. When you think about mass production, you can easily understand why some decisions are made.

11. bddaughe

bddaughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dude, I did read the manual and it's very confusing. Until I read the posts on here, I didn't know the 3 door SKS is a feature of an upgraded package. Nothing on page 48 of my owner's manual tells me it is a special feature. So, I tried the procedure on page 48 many times with no luck. It would be nice for them to say it's only available in special models to prevent confusion. Don't assume people didn't read the manual when the manual is confusing.

Thanks to others for helpful replies.

Barry

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but they're going to raise the price $400 across the board. What difference would 10, 20, 30, even a few hundred more make when most consumers are looking at the price? $23,500 vs. $23,550? I don't think most consumers would blink.

I also wonder how much they saved with the non-color matching spoiler. IMO another cost cutting measure that wasn't in the best interest of the consumer.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think the spoiler was a cost saving measure, I think its supposed to be black to blend in with the upper and lower glass. As for the 1 door vs 3 door SKS...thats about getting people to spring for the IV or V. I think the 3 door SKS is skimpy compared to the 5 door SKS you find on pricier cars...1 door would drive me nuts.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Generation 2 has color matched spoilers, I personally think they look better. I'm pretty sure the new, generic one spoiler fits all was a cost cutting measure. Just makes sense. Producing one spoiler that you put on all the cars has got to be cheaper than producing X amount in every color of car produced. Simpler when going down the assembly line as well.

15. flbntz

flbntz My First Toyota

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish I had the 3-door SKS also, on my Prius III, but I do the same thing, just break down, and use the fob to open the hatch, then go to the driver's door, when I need to load something. Most times, I'm just getting in the driver's side, so it's fine, but if I had my druthers, I'd like the hatch to open like the driver's door does. I actually use the hatch less, because of that.

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not really. Have you ever visited a car production plant? They don't paint trim pieces like bumpers and spoilers separately and then have them find their way to the cars. When the car is sent to paint they hang all of the unassembled trim right there to be painted at the same time, so it doesn't really save them anything but the cost of paint to have the spoiler be black. If anything it costs more because they have to paint the spoilers black separately.

17. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still hoping to find a way to upgrade to 3 door SKS. I also didn't realize it wasn't standard on the 2010 and it is a big disappointment to me. As a musician who is always loading gear in and out it was one of my favorite features on the Prius. I wouldn't have bought a IV just to get it, but I wish there was an aftermarket solution.

18. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I guess that I would have to buy a IV if I ever bought a G3, because I'm so used to having the 3 door SKS now that I couldn't do without it!

I doubt that there will ever be an aftermarket solution, especially if Toyota has not installed the proximity sensors for the hatch and passenger door. But where there's money to be made, you just never know.

Of course, some enterprising soul here on the forums may eventually put together a list of parts and a procedure. We have some really savvy people around here.

19. jmp

jmp New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like someone said upstream your 1 door SKS can be programmed by the dealer to unlock all doors (including hatch) when you touch the driver's door handle.

I have a Prius II and had the dealer change the default settings. When they hook up your car to TIS there is an option called Smart Key Access. The default is driver only. Tell them to change it to ALL as your default setting. I was watching the tech when he did my car and it's a 15 minute procedure.

Hope that helps.

Joseph

20. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Gen III with driver door only SKS unlocks all doors when I touch the driver door. That must be the default (or changeable by the user). I did not have to ask the dealer to do anything.

But that does not help if you approach the hatch with an arm-full of groceries. There is no sensor at other than the driver door.