1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smartphone APP to help with fuel economy questions (GENIII)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jan 19, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just loaded an app called "My Tracks" for my Android phone.

The reason for this is we see a lot of people asking why they are not seeing great fuel economy and we end up directing them to a questioner and/or asking a bunch of questions. With an app like this, or one available from many GPS devices, we can easily determine if the reason for someone's poor fuel economy is based on their commute or not. It is very simple to use and since most of us have smartphones now this could be very useful in diagnosing fuel economy issues. The program on your phone has a bit more information like a speed vs. elevation map which is handy. Here is a sample of what my work commute (both ways) looks like. I stopped tracking a few miles from my house for security reasons. [​IMG]

On this commute I will normally average between 46-48mpg depending on weather conditions. On my flatland commute (to the girlfriend's house) I easily see 50-53mpg average. *NOTE - elevation map is X10ft.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...d=202129938733970886848.00049a3f08539f01eac75

Created by My Tracks on Android.
    Total Distance: 35.43 km (22.0 mi)
    Total Time: 23:37
    Moving Time: 23:10
    Average Speed: 90.00 km/h (55.9 mi/h)
    Average Moving Speed: 91.70 km/h (57.0 mi/h)
    Max Speed: 117.75 km/h (73.2 mi/h)
    Min Elevation: 71 m (233 ft)
    Max Elevation: 340 m (1115 ft)
    Elevation Gain: 272 m (894 ft)
    Max Grade: 5 %
    Min Grade: -5 %
    Recorded: Wed Jan 19 19:23:41 PST 2011
    Activity type: - Driving

Attached Files:

2. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any idea if something like this is available for iPhone or others?

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've changed my commute. It is much longer now but the up side is my average MPG has increased. I know I'm still using more fuel but it's more fun to play with driving techniques when I'm not constantly uphill or down hill. :)

I'm now averaging 50-52mpg. We'll see how that changes with summer temps and summer blend fuel.

Pic is from home to work.

Attached Files:

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to download that app, but apparently I'm one of many customers that Google is not helping that cannot download apps using their Market app.

For some reason, I get "Google Talk Authentication Failed" errors, and apparently because of that, I can't download any apps. Went to the Google help pages, and there's post after post of people with this problem, none of which have been definitively resolved, and no word from Google itself on any of this. You can't ask them for help either, they don't seem to have any live people anywhere.

So I won't be running that app anytime soon it appears. I think I can get 3rd party apps on different websites (to be verified), just not anything from my provider or from Google.

I have t-mobile, which is in the process of being bought out by AT&T. If this problem continues, I'll definitely switch to an iPhone.

Sorry about venting in your thread, this is just rather frustrating because My Tracks does look interesting, especially for bike riding.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would the Mobile Tracker app work for you? I think PC member, firstflight, download ed it when he found out he couldn't use My Tracks. I think the app is made by Hadango?

7. royfranz

royfranz New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is an Android app called 'Torque' that will log GPS tracks as well as data from a bluetooth ODB2 interface. You could get speed/location and also additional data like throttle position and engine RPM, etc.

1 person likes this.
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jason Holder, panelist on WhatDrivesUs podcast, showed me the app he uses on his iPhone to log average mph and elevation maps. I thought some of you might be interested. Seems like another good alternative to my Android app.

Cyclemeter GPS Bike Computer for Road & Mountain Biking for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Here is another iPhone alternative:

Map My Tracks OutFront: All-sports GPS training computer for cycling, running, walking and more for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store