1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smartphone mirroring kit is anyone interested? Waze?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Tesla1st, Dec 30, 2016.

?
  1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    94.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Tesla1st

Tesla1st New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    install video example:

Beat-Sonic IF-02EP Smartphone Mirroring Kit

I was curious if anyone had thought of doing this so the Entune system is actually functional? This kit plugs into your 11.6 screen in the back and allows you to see what is on your IPhone for those of us interested in Waze, Google maps or videos.

#1 Tesla1st, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    douglasjre, ice9 and thatoneraccoon like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    really? i would definitely be interested. does it only work with the prime screen? is it only for waze?

3. Tesla1st

Tesla1st New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It can mirror what ever is on your phones screen .

bisco likes this.
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool! does it work with i phone?

6. Optimus PRIME

Optimus PRIME Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am definitely interested but would need detailed installation instructions for the PRIME to prevent any mistakes. :)

Although being a Techie, I think they need to release a device that can handle high-resolution or HD resolution for the larger screens like the 11.6in on PRIME. The video converter box from Beat-Sonic converts from HDMI to RCA, which downgrades the signal and resolution. This might be ideal for older vehicles with older screens, but I believe a HD device is ideal.

#6 Optimus PRIME, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    douglasjre and Db17 like this.
  7. Insirt

Insirt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    But! But... most importantly does is there a version that will work with Android?

8. estebinbin

estebinbin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am very interested. With this car I told myself that I would do no mods on it however this seems like a very useful one. I think I will not consider it till I see an install or function/feature video on the addition working on the Prius Prime.

9. alex j

alex j New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am interested. I remember someone once said he did not want anything on the screen that is not about the function of the car ( in the suggestion box) but the trend is there to make the automobile with more connectivity.
    Question, does this work with Prime?

douglasjre likes this.
  10. alex j

alex j New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If this works for Prime, I see a whole lot of things I can do with it. I can display my laptops (more than one) via Google Remote Desktop app on my Android. I can go on camping, travel anywhere there is Wi-Fi or cellular communications and access my online classes and continue teaching from anywhere I happen to be.
    How difficult is it to install?

11. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If there's a version for Prime Advanced I'm in!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p, where are we going with this?

13. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One thing to recognize is that this doesn't provide touch interface to your phone. This is just a mirror of the display. So you still need to access the phone to change the displays. It would be handy for managing Google Maps but for something you would want to change while driving it may not be a great solution. I would also be nervous about what would happen if I screwed up modifying my display, it isn't like this is a warranty mistake, I may be out several thousand trying to put my car back into working order because I wanted something I didn't have when I knew it didn't have it when I purchased.

14. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's great. Many of us are in the los angeles area and they are nearby. Hopefully they come out with something.

I honestly don't necessary care if i can't touch the screen but using waze instead of the wonky Toyota nav would be worth it.

15. phase315

phase315 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Saw this a while ago and on their website. The current kit they have for the prime looks similar to those of other cars therefore the resolution will not be great. Also i am not sure if it will mirror the portrait mode of our phones properly. All the other screens they mirror to are landscape.

16. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Random thoughts on this subject.
    Well made by company in Aichi, Japan
    The best resolution that the composite RCA yellow video “in” can handle is NTSC or PAL – which is about 525 lines — around 640×480. About the res. I'm looking at now. It will only display on the lower half of the 11.6 screen. Is this the area used by the rear back up camera?
    Is this the only video/audio input available. I see they have a rear camera adapter for navs that dont have that standard.
    Still a biger display than that skinny iPhone I used recently because the Sienna nav was locked.

Remote touch screens are good. See the 2 small touch controlers center bottom. RX450h has a joystick in the center console to control a mouse pointer on the mfd.
    http://cdn.planeandpilotmag.com/2016/08/piper-1-640x289.jpg
    Tesla who?

1 amp charging for a wired iPhone
    Wireless with Andriod devices? Chromecast with wifi direct on new Pixel phones?

douglasjre likes this.
  17. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How about easy? Toyota should bring their navigation system into the modern world ... or ... allow 3rd party apps.

My guess - they don't because they want to own all the data they collect from you and don't want to share it.

18. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    well i stopped by beat-sonic today (the team behind the video device shown above). they had yet installed the device on a prius prime and i volunteered to be the 1st test subject ;) Our 11" navigation (premium & advanced) does in fact have all the same connectors as all the other toyota vehicles have.

Unfortunately it's a no go. the kit didn't work due to the lack of a video option on the navigation menus. They were able to install it but unable to activate the video.

we are just going to hold out for a firmware update and give it a go again.

really nice guys at beat sonic and they were enthusiastic as i was to get it working.

back to the sh1tty toyota nav :)

19. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did an online refresher of the nav lockout hacks while the Pens lost. AV RCA input was for dealer/ aftermarket rear backup camera install. If it's standard equipment the AV input is already in use. Nav lockout override should still be possible. This has just been a switch placed in the white speed sense wire pin 17. Also see that there is can bus in that connector. Wonder what codes are in use by the mfd.

20. Dmitriy Sokol

Dmitriy Sokol Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you for being a guinea for all of is :) Please update the thread if/when the guys at beat-sonic are successful. I am ready to put the screen to a better use.