1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smashed my passenger side mirror...how to replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by texasdiver, Jun 19, 2018.

1. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had a brain fart the other day and caught my passenger side mirror on the side of my garage when backing out, and ended up smashing it. The mirror itself is shattered and the housing is cracked and scratched up.

Anyone know the best and cheapest way to replace this? It's a Four Touring with the blind spot monitor warning light on the mirror. The mirror housing is painted silver that matches the car paint so i think that will be an issue compared to on older cars where they were always just black or chrome. Is this a DIY repair and can I just order a new replacement part online? Do I need to go to the dealer? Can any body shop order the part and do it for cheaper? What do you guys suggest?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The cheapest way is to buy an unpainted new mirror and find matching spray can paint at the auto parts stores and DIY. I did this on a nissan and it worked well; especially since the mirror was spaced away from other painted surfaces so a perfect match wasn't that critical. Use a clear coat too.

Without specifically looking at the gen 4, there's usually a plastic panel on the inside of the door/window that needs to be popped off to access the attachment bolts and the wire connection for the power adjustment feature.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Had a similar episode with a Honda Civic, manage to purchase a new one through dealership in the same colour. Just pulled off the interior door panel and a bit of wrenching.

Should be able to find all you need here:

Outside Mirrors for 2016 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Item 3, the exterior shell, says "red" in the descriptions, so I'm guessing they come pre-painted, all the colours. I would print out info from the link, then check with a local dealership parts department.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    #4 padroo, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    alanclarkeau and kithmo like this.
  5. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks guys. I ordered a replacement from the link you provided. Once I knew the correct part number I google searched it to see who else might have it for sale and McGeorge Toyota looked to be the cheapest.

The mirror assembly and the painted mirror cover are separate parts. The mirror assembly was $229 and the painted mirror cover which can be ordered in any color was $35 so it ends up being a $290 mistake after shipping and I shouldn't have to paint anything.

I'm guessing my local dealer would have charged me at least $500 to install a new one.

#5 texasdiver, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you can't find locally, I've used this company with great results (more money tho'):
    2017 Toyota Prius Colors of Touch Up Paint

NOTE: if you go for their higher quality urethane clearcoat, their respiratory warning is no joke; a dust mask is not an acceptable substitution.

RCO likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's exactly the thing that's so nice about the way Toyota builds mirrors. You can just buy the color shell in whatever color your car is, painted from the factory, 35 bucks or so.

My parents had two Hyundais for a while, they only sold their mirrors in primecoat, wanted you to take them to the body shop to get sprayed and clearcoated to match your car. Couple hundred bucks, on top of the price of the mirror.

I'll take a snap-on prepainted cover any day.

-Chap

pilotgrrl, RCO and padroo like this.
  8. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Another successful repair in the books.

The OEM replacement mirror and the plastic snap-on cover arrived yesterday with no instructions. I had to google up some instructional videos on youtube to figure out how to pull off the passenger door panel. Amazing how much good repair stuff is on youtube. There are 3 hidden screws under the arm rest, control panel, and door latch then it pops off.

A very easy repair. Took me perhaps 20 minutes and I went very slow and deliberate.

chinarut, RCO and fotomoto like this.