1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smell something burn when turning on heat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by joeuser, Jan 30, 2010.

1. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As the subject says, I smelt something burning when I turned on the heat today while on my way to the airport.
    I shut the heat off immediately and drove the car to the airport and back without issues. I have no clue what could have caused this. ANyone have any ideas?
    I spoke to my dad, who thinks that the car has run out of coolant. I have no idea what this means. I am expecting my service person to make sure to top these off during the service intervals. I'm not much car savvy so i don't look under the hood as I dont know what to look for.
    Help!

2. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you have a new car, because your profile says it is a 2009 Prius. How long do you have it? Was this one of the first times you used the heat? If so, it could be just some residues burning out. I doubt you are out engine of coolant if the car behaves properly otherwise.

Was the smell strong? Was it persistent? Did you try to turn the heat back on ever since?

If the problem persists and you are unsure what is going on, you better see a mechanic.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Prius has two electric heaters that supplement the heater core. The heater core provides cabin heat from hot engine coolant. If the heater had not been used for a while, the electric heaters might emit odor until residue on the heating coils burns off, as previously mentioned.

2. It is not a good idea to rely solely on your "service person", and remain ignorant of basic owner responsibilities such as checking coolant and engine oil level. This should be done each time or every other time you buy gasoline. Why?

a) the tech may make a mistake.

b) your car might develop a leak between service intervals and if you don't figure that out and take immediate action, the car may be damaged to the point where a 4 or 5 figure repair bill will be incurred. Then you'll have to argue with your dealer about whether the repair should be covered under warranty, and that will be an unpleasant conversation.

Open the hood, and look for a translucent plastic reservoir behind the radiator. That is the engine coolant reservoir. You should see pink fluid in the reservoir and the level should be at or just below the line engraved into the reservoir that indicates full level.

Then look for another translucent reservoir mounted to the inverter. That is the inverter coolant reservoir, and a full mark is also provided for reference.

If your car needs coolant, buy a gallon container of pink Toyota Super Long Life Coolant from your dealer. This is already premixed with distilled water, so just pour in as needed to replenish.

4. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will try to check the levels as you mention and will then try to start the heat in the car if there's enough coolant. I will report back when I can accomplish what has been suggested here.

Thanks

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll second the electric heater smell. That's my first guess, but to be safe, check the coolant levels as suggested.

Tom

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    FYI The owner's manual has good illustrations/drawings on various fluid reservoirs. It is really very easy to check the levels. Good luck!

7. tortus

tortus New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have noticed this smell occasionally when the blower fan is on. Can the electric heater be disabled to confirm this as the source of the smell? ....Tortus

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you really want to disable the electric heater, you could pull two 30A fuses which are labeled PTC HTR1 and PTC HTR2, as well as the 50A PS HTR fuse, all located in the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter.

1 person likes this.