1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smelly Air from Outside. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by highroller, Aug 2, 2017.

1. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have a Prius C 2013. Originally, I have a problem with smelly air from outside. I watch Youtube and it taught me to use Lysol to spray the air intake from outside and turn on fan high. I did it 3 times with both AC on and off. Now, it smells fine with AC on. But it still stinks with AC off. Now I always leave a small windows crack when I park. I just changed the cabin filter. How to fix it? Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're talking outside air that smells, you'll probably have to move to a better smelling area.
    if you're talking about mildew in the a/c system, have it professionally cleaned, then make it a habit to turn the a/c off a mile from your destination, and turn the fan on high, to remove moisture from the vent system.

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  4. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Lol, not the outside air smell. It's mildew. Is there a DIY Way to deal with this? I don't have the money to have professional to clean or now. I already tried Lysol.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try ztanos link in post #3.

6. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My cabin always smells bad after turning off the AC. I think it's mildew in the pipes. You can keep it from smelling by keeping the AC on all times everywhere, with an obvious hit to mpg

Or roll down the windows for awhile.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Whatever chemical you spray in might be pushed through too fast with the fan on high.
    Where do you live ?
    Leaving it out in the hot sun all day right after a "treatment" with just the windows cracked a bit might help kill the "infection".

The sad part is.......once that gets started growing it often is almost impossible to get rid of completely.