1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SMOG Check for Title Transfer - no computer history

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mehrenst, Apr 2, 2015.

1. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in California and selling my 2005. We went to get it SMOG checked today (needed for Title transfer) and because thy Aux Battery was replaced a few weeks ago there was not enough "history" n the computer to allow the station to perform the "test" (read history).

Does anybody have any idea how much history is required before I can get a clean SMOG check? Is it a matter of miles or is it related to the duration (number of weeks/months)?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to believe that is not non volatile memory.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Approximately 100 miles under a variety of driving conditions on the freeway as well as surface streets. The reason this is required is to prevent an owner who has an intermittent problem from clearing the DTC, then immediately going down to the smog check center to have the test performed.

When the 12V battery is disconnected, the DTC logged by most ECUs is erased. Exceptions are the skid control and SRS ECUs.

4. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    interesting, bought a 04 a few years back, never had to smog 1st time, live outside the smogbelt, but good to know if i ever sell, not... gotta have some code that makes engine/dino whatever work...not just sit in run on e..

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yea, that was a surprise for me the first time i hung around to watch. no more hose on the tailpipe.

6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well it IS NOT. And the situation is not unique to Toyota.

About all you can do is drive it every day for (guessing) 10 miles or so until the logs are active again.

[Edit] See what Patrick said.