1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smog Checks in California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cmwade77, Mar 23, 2006.

1. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

How often do Prius have to get Smog Checks in California? Also are there issues when trying to find a place to get Smog Cheks in California? I bought my car used, which is 2004, so I know the earliest the Smog Check will have to be done is 2007, but I am kind of curious as to how this works here in California.

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like after 5 years you'll need to get one at a referee facility. See:
    http://www.ofa.dgs.ca.gov/Alternative+Fuel...SmogInspect.htm

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota Prius Hybrid-Electric Vehicles Smog Inspection Guidelines

The Toyota Prius is not compatible with California's Two Speed Idle or ASM tests because of vehicle design. The Prius engine speed is limited to a maximum of 2250 r.p.m. when stopped and, therefore, cannot reach the specified testing speed of 2500 r.p.m. performed at Smog Check stations.

For now, Toyota Prius vehicles must be sent to state contracted referee facilities where the hybrid-electric Smog Check inspections are performed. To schedule an appointment, you may contact the State Referee Scheduling Center at
    1-800-622-7733. New vehicles are not required to have biennial Smog Checks until the fifth year.

Questions regarding these guidelines should be directed to Mike Powers at (916) 255-4519, or Dan Burnett at
    (916) 255-4242, at the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Automotive Repair.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The above info seems to be meant for California state fleet vehicles (presumably owned by govt agencies).

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Bo...heck/hybrid.htm (first hit from my Google search for 'dmv prius california smog check') says
    "The following vehicles have been exempted from biennial and change-of-ownership Smog Check inspections until January 1, 2010:

* Honda Insight – all model years
    * Honda Civic Hybrid – all model years
    * Toyota Prius – all model years
    * Ford Escape Hybrid - all model years
    * Honda Accord Hybrid - all model years
    * Lexus RX 400h - all model years

Note that this exemption DOES NOT include all Honda Civics and all Ford Escapes. Only Civic Hybrids with VIN characters 4 through 8 being either “ES956†or “ES966†are currently exempt, and only Escape Hybrids with VIN characters 5 through 7 being either "U95" or "U96" are currently exempt.

Technicians: Do not conduct a Smog Check inspection on these vehicles whether directed by DMV or for change of ownership. Have the motorist contact a DMV field office if they have been directed by a DMV registration notice to obtain a Smog Check.

Hybrid-Electric vehicles (HEVs) represent an innovative clean-air and fuel-efficient technology. BAR intends to encourage the use of vehicles that will have a smaller detrimental impact on the environment.

HEV emissions performance cannot be appropriately determined by current Smog Check inspection procedures. BAR plans to create new testing procedures that are specifically applicable to HEVs and will be used beginning in 2010."

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Priuses became exempt last year. On my first Prius ('02) I had to go to a B.A.R. office to have them "sign off", but that's been eliminated.