1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    wow that was pretty harsh.

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

In all seriousness, how often do people buy a vehicle to compensate for something?

There are people who can use a big vehicle to it's fullest, but then there are the single-occupant drivers who do nothing but drive around suburbia and highways owning big honking vehicles. Why?

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The same reason many 5000 sq ft homes are occupied by 2 people.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadly, I know too many good examples of this...

I owned a huge F150 with all the bells and whistles, I have to say, it sure is nice to have all that room, tower above traffic, and feel relatively safe you'll be the one driving off if someone in a smaller vehicle rear-ends you. Plus, the 4X4's are FAR superior in crappy weather, in addition to the height and type of tires, I could blow down 495 with a few inches of unplowed snow on the ground at 65mph.

Then I realized I wasn't making enough use of it and traded it in for the Prius... :lol:

Also notice the guys that DO buy trucks just to feel "big", usually tend to be on the short side.... :lol:

5. LaughingMan

Bigger is not always better. Homes are very different from cars. Sure there is some degree of variance due to "comfort" but i'm talking about usage models.

If a person's needs only demand for a smaller car (never go offroad, never carry a huge amount of stuff in the car, never expect to pack the car full of 7 people, never expect to tow anything) then buying a big honking SUV is gluttony, and it doesn't just hurt his pocket book... it hurts the bottom line of energy independence, and hurts because of the unnecessary pollution that bigger vehicle creates.

6. Snarf

Snarf New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Malorn,

What are you trying to accomplish by your posting here? from what I gather your concerns are:
    1. Toyota makes itself out to be more of an american company than it is.
    2. Toyota makes itself out to be more environmentally conscious than they actually are
    3. American media perpetuates these myths.

OK... I'm sure most people here would concede these points (at least to some degree) and are not being fooled by Toyota's advertising or media hype

Given the above, what would you have us do? Boycott Toyota? Are there other car makers out there that are any more ethical?

Toyota makes an automobile that we like and choose to buy.

You also seem to be saying that Hybrid technology is just Toyota's distraction to start selling more trucks in the US. This one is just plain ridiculous.

I ask you again, what are you honestly hoping to accomplish? Maybe just getting a rise out of us?

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Would all of you feel as warm and fuzzy about Toyota if they had never built any hybrids? Suppose for a moment you are an automotive manufacturer that had built a reputation building relatively small, fuel-efficient vehicles that were very dependable and had helped earn you a reputation as a very earth-friendly company. Now also suppose there was a market building large trucks and suvs that you had only dabbled in but the potential for growth and profits was staggering. What would you do to keep your earth-friendly reputation but still make an attempt to reap some of the huge rewards from the large truck market. How about building a very earth-friendly vehicle while at the same-time launching an assault on this 'evil' suv and truck market. Keep the press releases coming on the fact that the "hybrid" is helping with conserving fuel to take the media and consumer's attention off the truck business. You keep the "green" reputation and alleviate some of the protectionist pressure at the same time. If that is really what happened it is brilliant.

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I've got to say, in this respect... The man has a point...

Just a little while ago, Toyota announced they would raise their prices to help us poor Americans with our auto industry... Makes people want to "smile" when they think of "Toyota", makes them feel good. Could this, on some level, translate into considering a Toyota suv/truck? Sure can... Just like oil companies, how far would someone go for a few billion?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain indeed...

:ph34r:

9. Snarf

Snarf New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At first I thought you were trying to make some point specifically about Toyota. Then I read your other thread with the poll and it is very clear to me now.

You are scared to death of globalization. Your only arguement is "Buy American or we will be a 3rd world country in XX years." It's not nearly that simple.

It worries me as well as there may very well be some tough times ahead for us. However, buying inferior American products is not the solution.

10. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Honestly, yes. Toyota makes a superior product, be it gas powered, electric powered or anything else they come up with. I've owned 4 different american vehicles (3 Jeeps and 1 Chevy Blazer). None of them were taken past 150k miles. My wifes family (parents, sisters family, brother..etc) have all had Toyota's and have had most of them past 200k miles. My brother-in-law has a Corolla right now that's got over 300k on it and it's still going strong. Now, they've all needed work in the past, but never as much as I ended up needing in my American vehicles.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. If you are worried as Snarf points out, there are so many other issues that are far worse. For starters, how about all the money we send to help other countries?? When we need it, how much do we get back??

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

you are telling us to suppose things and make "what if" statements. Concentrate on how things are in reality and not "what if" and "suppose for a moment".

According to you Toyota is not green auto maker, FINE, but at least they deliver quality, and GM delivers neither. How many different ways can you come up with to convince me to buy crap?

YES I would still be buying Toyotas even if they were not making hybrids.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good for you Maggieddd. You will always buy Toyotas no matter what..... very profound indeed!

13. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think she said "no matter what". Neither did I. I'd continue to buy them as long as they held up to their reputation. If GM or Ford started to have a reputation for reliability, then I'd consider changing.

I'd be willing to be you, that for every 1 American car on the road with over 200k miles, you'd find 10+ Toyota's.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No way...my family has a business with several trucks in it. Those trucks are routinely driven to over 200k. I will grant you that during the last 20 years Toyota has built some great cars but 10 to 1? No way.

15. LaughingMan

One family with a business with several trucks hardly a sample set make...

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You're right. But in that field it is very common place to run trucks to several hundred thousand miles. He said 10 to 1. That means if there was even 1 million toyotas running around with 200k on them I would only have to come up with 100,000 domestic vehicles.

17. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are they used for business? That's a totally different story. I just know of a lot more Toyota's with well over 200k miles. And in reality, any car can go to 200k and beyond, it's just a question of how much needs to be done.

Take Jeep's for instance. I've owned 3 and have family friends that have owned many of them. They all have transmission issues after 100k.

It doesn't really matter - To a degree, it's a matter of opinion. I don't have hard facts - I just know I've had issues with all my vehicles after 100-120k miles. I've known plenty of toyota's that have done much better, so aside from trying a Hybrid, I decided I'd go for a Toyota as well.

Let me ask this. What would you have recommend I get? I drive 30k miles a year and I need the room that the Prius offers.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What about those timing-belt issues at 60k, doesn't that cost 800 to 1000 dollars? That would be considered "major to most people. If gas mileage is your driving force than a prius is it. There are many cars that have a ton of room that will get well into the 30's on the highway. My issue really isn't with the Prius or its owners, its with the what is happening in trucks and suv's and the way that it is happening.

19. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, then your issues aren't really with Toyota. There with the consumers. If people weren't buying trucks, auto makers would stop making them.

Fuel efficiency was my top goal. So the Prius made the most sense. I also liked the fact that it had luxury features, such as the Nav system, SKS..etc..etc. And it's a hatchback.

Trucks do have their place, but most people don't use them as they should. They aren't needed for daily driving, unless your towing or hauling lots of stuff.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are no timing-belt in Hybrid Synergy Drive vehicles. Let's not forget that Toyota isn't stopping HSD at Prius, Highlander Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, RX400h, and LS450h. By 2010, all the vehicle line up (including) trucks will be offered with HSD. Emission will be lower. Fuel economy will be higher. Power response will be quicker. Power delivery will be smoother. What's the problem now? Trolls can only bitch and moan until 2010. This is nothing new, I have seen these type on the Edmunds.