1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your point was that Toyota will always sell more cars than trucks because of market dynamics and they are a green company. My point is that if Toyota saw it that way why would they locate a huge truck plant in the largest truck market in the United States? I have never said that trucks will kill America, only if they are eventually all sold by Japanese or eventually Chinese companies with little or no North American content.

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

perhaps if we all start driving tanks we won't have to worry about Japanese taking over our playground, they don't seem to specialize in tanks

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota has not built any tanks since early 1945. Their tank factories ran out spare parts and no longer had a roof or walls.

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

didn't I just say that they don't specialize in tanks

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes you did, but they used to.

6. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

And I'm sure they were more fuel effient :D

7. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

And my answer is always the same : diversification.

Toyota will sell more cars than trucks because cars have always sold better than trucks, even during the SUV boom...

Such a pessimist. GM and Ford won't just disappear tomorrow, next year, or even 10 years from now.

Do you find it ironic that Toyota is more in touch with what Americans want (smaller vehicles) while GM and Ford are so out of touch, with only 45% and 33% of their cars sold being passenger cars?

This isn't about Toyota brainwashing the American public. This is about Toyota being more in touch.

THe whole market shifted toward small cars... then why didn't GM's or Ford's smaller cars pick up the slack from the lost SUV sales like for Toyota or Honda, huh?

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Malorn, I am not sure if you know this, but there is the whole big world outside of the walls of the United States of America. And your retarded miniscule problem about Toyota taking over your world is pathetic.

9. LaughingMan

You keep talking about ONE plant in Texas, as if that's somehow a nexus in space and time that proves that Toyota is this evil truck loving corporation...

Well look at the big picture. They're a corporation, and the corporation can't be judged by just one facility, or one division or anything like that.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maggie, you never stop putting things in perspective for me, thank you.

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fact. Toyota is a juggernaut of a corporation and have made virtually no strategic errors in the last 25+ years.
    Fact. Toyota is in the business of making money.
    Fact. Return on investment is much greater on trucks than cars(with the exception of luxury cars)
    Fact. Toyota and the other Japanese transplant cos have had a much tougher time piercing the pickup truck market than other markets.
    opinion. toyota loves money as much as i do. Toyota is locating a truck plant in Texas to become one of the good ol' boys to middle american truck buyers.
    opinion. Toyota's move into truck racing and soon to be NASCAR is aimed at truck buyers in hopes of finally being able to bite the forbidden fruit.

12. LaughingMan

In my opinion, Toyota is pushing much harder into their Lexus and Scion brands than they are their Toyota Truck brand... which goes in line with your 3rd fact. Lexus probably has extremely high ROI.

Read the Bloomberg article again. It mentions strong growth for Lexus sedans.

13. LaughingMan

malorn, answer this question:
    The whole market shifted toward small cars... then why didn't GM's or Ford's smaller cars pick up the slack from the lost SUV sales like for Toyota or Honda, huh?

14. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota and Honda are known for small cars(green image) while obviously GM and Ford are not. Like my neighbor who bought a Nissan great mpg is assumed. Ask around your office right now which model gets better mileage a Camry or a Malibu? Ask 10 people and give me the results.

16. lgeisz

lgeisz Junior Member

So let’s look at this from a "global economy perspective" the fact that Toyota is coming into the US to take a bigger share of the Auto market in general, the truck market specifically is wrong. So how do you compare this to Microsoft taking the majority of the world market in computer operating systems but out sourcing the work to other countries?

The reality is it is cheaper for Toyota and other auto manufacturers (from an employee and manufacturing cost) to produce the vehicle in the US and other countries (Korea) than in Japan. It the same with US auto makers, it is cheaper to build in Mexico or Canada then the US and if we are not careful the only car manufacturing that will be done in the US will be foreign.

We live in a global economy no matter what we want to believe so the US auto companies need to wake up.

17. LaughingMan

It's not just image. Has it ever occurred to you that there EXISTS a substantative difference between American cars and foreign ones beyond image?

Asking random people doesn't count. I honestly didn't know what the mileage of either a Camry or a Malibu was until I looked it up just now, so i'd have to answer i don't know. Most of the people I would ask would say the same thing because they're not shopping for a car at the moment, but a person shopping around for a car DOES THEIR HOMEWORK, and i give them the benefit of the doubt that they spend 30 minutes of their life and just go to a car comparison web site like autobytel...

And even if it's left up to marketing to decide, then shame on GM and Ford for bungling up their marketing badly that people don't know about their cars. Once again, it goes back to GM and Ford completely screwing up.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Were you surprised? Most people looking for a good mileage car don't even consider the domestics.

19. LaughingMan

AND WHO'S FAULT IS THAT?

Is it Toyota because they made a deal with the devil to poison the minds of all Americans? If anyone's fault, it's the domestics fault that people don't think of them that way anymore.

Your current line of argument can't avoid going back to GM and Ford, and DC to place fault.

You're talking about mindshare. Just because Toyota has more of it right now doesn't mean that Toyota has done something wrong or all Americans are idiots. It's because the domestics are badly managed.

End of story.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No arguement there. GM especially is awful at marketing. Image plays such a huge role in consumers choices, that is what bothers me about what Toyota is doing in Texas, with NASCAR etc.