1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Look at "malorn's" member #.

What's the easiest anagram of malorn? normal.

Maybe GM's more active than we thought. :rolleyes:

GREAT, er, STATUARY, maggie!

Edit to add line.

2. lgeisz

lgeisz Junior Member

Sorry to feed the troll

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm not a troll. I am very concerned with what is happening to this country, both economically and environmentally. Like so many things going on today, Toyota's "green campaign" is a PR campaign. not unlike Wal-mart's "made in the usa".

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Yes you are a TROLL, despite of that you say.
    Go back to TROLLS kingdom

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm not bashing anything, just trying to make you people think about what is really going on in this country. Have I said anything that wasn't true?

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

everything, including the fact that you are very concerned with what is happening to this country

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is true that Toyota sells SUVs and trucks that get relatively lousy mileage. Why deny it?

US car maker's financial difficulties are a good thing if they lead to universal health care. It's silly to tie health insurance to one's employer.

The Prius is a great car, but it's still a car. It would be far better for the human world and the natural world if we were to structure our cities so that most of us could conveniently take public transit to our jobs and shopping.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maggie, so you are concerned with what is happening in this country and I am not? And what are you basing your opinion on? I don't have blinders on when it comes to Toyota's relationship with the environment or the us economy. So you are telling me that Toyota is good for the environment and the US economy?

9. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Please show me a vehicle that is reducing smog-forming emissions by 80% and increasing fuel-efficiency by 50%. Case closed. HSD is doing just that. What else is out there?
    No, really, if you want to reduce pollution AND reduce fuel consumption, yet need a mid-size car with alot of great features, carries 4 comfortably (sp?), and has VERY adequate performance, please let us all know where this vehicle is...

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Have you derived at this conclusion from me saying that you are a troll?

11. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

malorn, you obviously haven't read any of our reponses on the first page. Stop bothering the people who have simply compensated for GMs bad management, and go back to the people who are at the ROOT of the problem and bother THEM.

It is not our fault GM has nothing to offer us!

Goodbye!

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My problem is not with the Prius or with any of you(I don't think). I am just tired of the media never questioning Toyota or any of its motives. Why do they continually get a "get-out-of-jail free" card? The Prius gets great gas mileage, but is that mainly because of the hybrid system or the other engineering of the car. Don't the new Lexus and Highlander SUV's utilize the same technologies? Everything I have read about those two "green" vehicles says that there is no appreciable real-world gain in mpg.

13. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

What, exactly, is "real world" mpg?

The trip from my house to my office is approximately a mile and a half. Since it is relatively downhill all the way the ICE on my Prius never kicks on. I use NO gas. As opposed to my last car, which got 24 mpg.

So let's see 1.5 miles x 5 days x 52 weeks / 24mpg = 16.25 gallons of gas I save per year on that trip alone.

Oops, I usually go home for lunch so I save 32.5 gallons a year.

That's real enough for me.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I do have a question. Considering how you feel, what do you use for daily transportation? If a car, what's the make and year? Just curious.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    2005 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab. 19-21 mpg consistently. I have also gotten as high as 25 on a highway trip. I checked out Toyota and a couple of other brands and was shocked to find out Chevy had the best mileage for a 4x4 and also the lowest emissions. I also own a 2004 GMC Yukon and when i was shopping for that was surprised to find out that it was rated three mpg better than the Toyota Sequoia. Shopping for that vehicle is actually what got me started leisurely researching all of this. I figured going in that Toyota's would probably get 3-5 mpg better, was I wrong! I met a Ford dealership owner that talked to me about Toyota and the US economy.

16. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Hey Troll...please do your homework.

"no appreciable" is not fair. The Highlander easily gets 30 MPG... show me a SUV that can do better, and still seat 7...

And you should be paying attention. Hybrid Synergy Drive isn't just about sky high mileage... it's also about significatly reducing emissions.

Highlander and the RX400h are both SULEV. Show me any SUV in their class that can do better.

Only the Ford Escape Hybrid (another full hybrid, based on technology similar to HSD) does better with AT-PZEV.

17. LaughingMan

You and I have different definitions of low emissions.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2001cartablef.jsp?id=21148

Call me when you can do SULEV.

18. LaughingMan

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe you should check this out: http://www.bluewaternetwork.org/. Every review of those tow vehcles says about the same thing. Like I said earlier, smoke and mirrors.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid