1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    based on what? Can you provide me some specifics about the Malibu and why it is an inferior vehicle to the Camry. I will look for a complete rundown in about half an hour. Don't let me down!

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

based on the people who drive this crap. really no need for a scientific research

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

so don't cry. it's a big world which you will never grasp. why are you pooping your pants?

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

how did you derive at that conclusion?

5. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Ahem. To start out this buffet, lets go to Consumer Reports.

Today we will be comparing 4 cylinder mid-size sedans.
    The 2006 Malibu...
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Consumer...et&model=Malibu

Compare to 4 cylinder Camry LE.
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Consumer...ota&model=Camry

Compare to the 4 cylinder Accord for kicks.
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Consumer...d&car=1&src=vip

So how did they do? They're all in the category of Family Sedans...
    Malibu: 66
    Camry: 76
    Accord: 78

6. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Without even looking up one report or statistic, I can tell you personally, from experience - that the service is bad, and that the vehicle drove like a brick. I had a rental vehicle last year that happened to be a Chevy Maliboo with only 3,000 miles on it. It felt and sounded like a 30 year old car. Granted, it was a rental...but Jebus

In my previous life, where I waved the flag and bought domestic, I used to dread the most simple maintenance issues because of the poor service. I won't even bring up (again) the $50,000 I wasted on a new Caddy that vibrated at highway speeds and the headaches caused when trying to negotiate with GM. They didn't give a rats butt about me and laughed at me leaving the lot for the last time. :angry:

Most import buyers won't be fooled too easily into going back to domestic with those kind of experiences. At least, not this buyer.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you fail to notice that the users gave the Malibu a higher rating than the Camry or the Accord. Scratch that higher than the Camry the same as the accord.

8. LaughingMan

I made a point to mention the Consumer Reports portion of that site, and not the user reviews... user reviews can be skewed because they exist almost as a web poll, and has about the accuracy of one.

So called "Expert" rating is still lower for the Malibu.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I went into reliability ratings fro Camry and Malibu and there are red squares with an x through it. How can this still be a recommended buy?

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    would you care to expound on this generalization?

11. LaughingMan

Can you not simply just read before you post questions that have easy answers?

If you clicked on the Camry, there are red Xs because that is for the 2002 and 2003 model years, which have since been phased out.

They do not have data for new models, nor do they have data on the Malibu at all, so it seems like this MSN Auto site isn't a complete source by itself, which is why I only posted those links for the Consumer Reports references...

12. LaughingMan

You're one to talk. You're the one who's done nothing but generalize and spout out opinion for the past 3 days.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those X's through the red signify "significant engine problems". How can the camry be a recommended buy on the used side with significant engine problems? Would it be a recommended buy if it was built by GM or Ford? Not a chance.

14. LaughingMan

As much as you would like to believe it, there is not this "Toyota" bias in the media.

That being said, lets not jump to conclusions, and lets see what this was about. perhaps it was a recall. MSN Auto is just a web site after all.

15. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have to say, Mystery Squid and maggieddd's replies are very entertaining! :lol:

16. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Users are also less likely to be as critical about something they've just spent their hard earned money on.

17. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

well, I had to lower my standards to be on the same level as malorn

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That end result might have been the US intention with their euphemistic 'globalisation', but consider the possibility that everyone will speak Cantonese, make stuff to sell in China, and eat at Hon's Won Ton House.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You have a point, but i just don't see Chinese culture taking over the world. I haven't seen anything exciting come out of China since that guy laid down in front of the tank!

20. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok.. I think we've gotten a bit off topic.

The original issue was that Toyota is using smoke and mirrors and that's what the Prius is about.

Malorn, have you come to realize that this is not the case? Toyota really believes in hybrids! They of course will continue to sell what consumers want, which is why they won't drop SUV's or Pickups or other gas guzzlers from their lineup, but it's not their main focus.

hmm.. now that I think about it, I think I see a lot more US auto makers pushing the big gas guzzling vehicles. How about all the Dodge Hemi Ads! No smoke and mirrors there, maybe they own part of Exxon/Mobil?