1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Well the way I look at it, it's brought out a lot of good arguments for our side, and I'd like to think our arguments are a lot stronger than his.

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have never equated you or any other posters with being unpatriotic. AS an American you have the right to buy whatever you desire, and I respect that. I do however think that buying a Toyota, when there is a quality, viable American alternative is short-sighted.

3. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Of course they are.
    He's not interested in "winning" just yankin' you around as long as possible.

But, as long as you're having fun, enjoy. <_<

4. LaughingMan

For the car class I am interested in, it was very clear that there was no quality viable American alternative available.

Because of that, I believe the car buying public can make their own decisions just like I did, and rarely make short sighted decisions in your definition.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It isn't ok to discuss Toyota and its effect on the US economy on here. I am sure I have not swayed one-single poster, but is it wrong to make people think about what they are doing with their money?

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Or perhaps the other way around. Clearly Toyota isn't expanding their hybrid offerings because they think they're pulling the wool over consumers' eyes (consumers are dumb enough, they can do that themselves :rolleyes: ). They're doing it because they think hybrids can deliver on economy, style, and performance. Consumers seem to be agreeing with Toyota right now and, mind you, Toyota employees a lot of people in this country and around the world. The same is true of GM. These are multi-nationals in every sense of the word. It just so happens that one is clubbing the other like a baby seal (tasteless, but true) in sales/performance. The American consumer wins when he/she encourages companies to build the best products at the best prices. Slavishly buying something because it's "patriotic" is just retarded. Like the bumper sticker says, "Think, it's patriotic".

7. LaughingMan

People don't need you to MAKE them think... I believe they think already. THEY JUST DON'T THINK LIKE YOU.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your right again, I want them to add an extra consideration into their purchase process. I know some of you already considered buying American, but I know of plety of folks who don't consider it at all.

9. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like any smart business, they are using areas they can to promote their brand. Why not use Nascar? Maybe their thinking is let's get them into our trucks, then let's make them hybrids and show them how they can perform just as well. OR, maybe it's even simpler. Let's get them in our trucks instead of them getting into Ford's or GM's.

Maybe the ecological impact of their V8 trucks is that they can make some good profit on them and use that profit to for R&D into better hybrid technology. If Toyota was not a successful business, they wouldn't have been able to spend the money they've spent on Hybrid technology and we might not have the Prius or any Toyota Hybrids.

And since you bring up Nascar... let's look at it shall we.. Dodge, GM, Ford.. why don't you bash them for partnering with Nascar? Well.. that again, gets us off topic.

I think the main point that should be clear now. Is that Toyota is not pushing their Hybrids as a smoke and mirrors campaign to get everyone to buy their other vehicles. If anything, they're interested in getting people into their vehciles to later get them in hybrids. In fact, I can't recall seeing a single Prius to HyHi ad. So, where exactly is the smoke? They're making a product and people are buying it because it's a great product. If there's any smoke, it's the consumers that are creating it, simply because they love the product (Prius/HyHi) that Toyota has created.

10. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately there isn't right now.

11. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Actually, I agree with many of your positions and your right to post them here.
    I just don't think your personal opinions are worth this much discussion.

12. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most people do. Other's look at price and other factors.

Regardless, I think purchasing foreign goods is far from our economy's problems. As I said in another post, our bigger problems are:

1) American Leeches - those like my brother-in-law. They find every way possible to stay at the bottom of the tax bracket, so they can collect and pay very little taxes. All while making money under the table - often substantial. And I'm sure we'll be supporting them in their old age too.

2) Immigrants. The have awesome work ethic, but they often work under the table. They also don't spend their money here except for necessities. They save every penny and then bring it back to their home countries and spend it there.

3) Foreign Aid. We spend billions on helping other countries. Then what do we get when we need? How much did we spend on the Tsunami? And how much foreign aid did we get for Katrina?

If these 3 problems were fixed, our economy would be far better than it currently is. Then we could all happily buy foreign products without Malorn working up a sweat.

Oh... and another huge government expenditure - policing the world...

13. LaughingMan

This is an important point. There hasn't been a marketing blitz over the Prius or the Highlander Hybrid... just low key commercials that claim SULEV emissions, or commercials about regenerative braking.

The buzz about Toyota hybrids has been a grass roots movement, spreading with word of mouth...

Toyota is hardly clubbing the United States over the head with the message of hybrids... they haven't had to, and the Prius still sells well.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The items that I highlighted, do you really think that? So Toyota is now a hybrid vehicle company that is using its other models to entice people into the fold so that later they can sell them a hybrid? Wow! Does anyone else on here believe this is their aim.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Word-of-mouth and the very best advertising, news!

16. LaughingMan

Look we've explained this over and over. It's simply not possible for Toyota to STOP selling trucks right now. Is that what you want?

Change does not happens over night.

Toyota is not a hybrid vehicle company 100%, but they are moving in that direction. That counts for a lot.

17. LaughingMan

There you go again. Blaming Toyota for their successes in hybrid technology, and for making news. Would you rather they didn't tell anyone they released new vehicles, or not making a big deal of their technological breakthroughs?

I still think you don't understand hybrid technology.

18. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do I think that.. no, but it's as likely as your whole smoke and mirrors idea. I do however believe they've spent a lot of money on R&D of hybrid technology. That money came from profits selling gasoline powered vehicles.

If they came out with a vehicle the size of the excursion, you might have an argument. But everything they currently do is simple competition.

19. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Word-of-mouth can be great or bad. Obviously they've produced a great product, otherwise the word-of-mouth would do more harm than good.

20. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

You just made me think about how I spend my money. And I can spend it any way I want. That's what I think. The money I'm saving on gas I am puting into accessories for my car. The accessories are foreign made (accept the BT Tech spoiler). OOOOOWWWW!!!!! Having a heart attack yet malorn?