1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

They do a magnificent job with PR and advertising, I have spent the quite a bit of time studying the last 7 years of their advertising and pr.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've never seen a Prius add in print or otherwise. Toyota's best marketing machine as far as I'm concerned is the owners. I bought mine based on talking with people who actually own the vehicle. To a man, they all had nothing but positive things to say about it. The fact that I found one on the lot and got to test drive it clinched the deal.

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Yes, but how much do you know about the hybrid technology itself, and the implications across the industry and for Toyota itself?

I keep saying it... you're looking at it from a marketing point of view and nothing else. The rest of us are seeing it from a technical, social, and ecological impact point of view.

It doesn't add up from my point of view if it was a PR push and nothing else. ROI is not there... unless it's a technology that will go into all of Toyota's next generation vehicles.

Weren't you the one who said that Toyota has been strategically perfect over it's history? Well this is their new strategy, that you refuse to accept.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Honestly, I have NOT READ every damn post in this thread, but he does make some valid points. Without getting too much into it, I've seen very high level marketing strategies implemented by various firms, and some of the stuff he's bringing up is well within the realm of possibility, and not as "far out" as some people might think. That's really it though.

It's kind of like a movie where a guy in hospital dress jumps into the back of a cab and puts a "shank" to the Cabbie's neck frantically telling him to "step on it" as the G-MEN are just behind him because he's discovered Soylent Green is made of people... No one really wants to buy into it because it goes against a lot of what they believe, but it turns out he ain't really that far off his rocker after all... :lol:

5. Mystery Squid

I completely disagree on many points. You need to understand how the government does its accounting, in conjunction with the concept the government has a 100% credit rating, regardless of it's debts, AND the fact that money is no longer tied into a directy physical representation such as it once was with gold. It's all based upon market forces and BELIEF. Directed, to a large extent, by the entity that can simply print more money when it wants, your friend and mine, the GUV-MINT.

You mention debt has to eventually be picked up by someone. Not so. All debts at those levels are subject to nothing more than political forces. Many debts are fogiven in exchange for this or that. Political forces are fluid at best, thus the accounting methodology implemented by the government. The fact is, and many will NOT buy this, is that it's ALL arbitrary past the next few hours. You probably won't like this either: but I sure as heck don't sit around worrying about our Government's debts. To do so is pointless.

House of cards? It's always been a house of cards, and nothing more than a juggling act at any given point in time.

6. Mystery Squid

Oh yeah, I wanted to throw this in:

BILL MERCHANT.

:ph34r:

7. jchu

jchu New Member

Just to get things out of its current rut as people seem to be arguing the same points over and over again. About GM and or Ford going belly up does anyone remember and/or have comments on the government's bailout so many years ago and will history repeat itself.

8. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

um...Squid - that was just a movie. X-files was just a T.V. Show. Toyota taking over the world is a thread started by an eccentric. I've not seen one point he has made that mirrors reality - and with him twisting words and meanings around through this whole thread, you have to go back and read the whole thread to know what he is really doing....smoking crack.

In real life, there are no "guv-mint" conspiracies or aliens in the basement of the Pentagon. I've worked there. All you know about "guv-mint" conspiracy is from the imagination of movie directors and script writers. We luv the intrique so we think its real. Our leaders in DC aren't smart enough to have a conspiracy. Government is very boring and repetitous, among other words. The one thing I did learn from my years in DC was that Government is wasteful - time, money, and resources.

And don't confuse conspiracy for any level of secret or war planning contingencies. Decisions made by the government on any level are not conspiracies just because they don't make Headline News and you don't know about it. It's all public record.

Soylent Green was a good movie, but could never happen. Too many people who run the program would have to be sworn to secrecy and then monitored. It's the same for the Apollo-faked mission theory...

9. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Oh yea, and you can stop that now....it's really not funny anymore.

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Squid, that might be funny on your other site, try it

11. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

This thread has been a very valuable source of entertainment for the past few days. Thank you to everyone who posted.

I am not normally quick to de-theorize someone's viewpoint, opionion, or facts based on whatever, but....

when you start talking with crap coming out of your mouth, whatever you say after that is still crap. No matter how much you back-peddle or try to sound convincing.

Morlan, if you would have started this thread with intelligent meaning, you might have been taken more seriously. But after your initial post, the "crap" just kept coming.

Public relations is not your cup of tea.

12. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Here is Malrons original post so we can start all over again
    Malron, please reread it and tell me you don't sound funny.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Right...is this STILL thread going on????

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Its all true. The only part that is up to debate is whether the hybrid campaign was "originally" a diversion or not. What else in there do you question?

Again, please try to clear your mind for a moment and consider that you are the head of Toyota.
    You want to enter the full-size truck market because in it lie the biggest potential profits. You are afraid of stirring up protectionism by attacking the domestics last stronghold. You also are afraid of hurting your "green" corporate image that you have cultivated for decades.
    Could you think of a better way to do it than to come out with a hybrid system that the media and public will embrace keeping the "green" image even as your CAFE is steadily declining.
    Maybe Toyota is just incredibly lucky. Wait a minute, can you make 11 billion (7-8 from us operations)dollars a year by just being lucky?

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "House of cards? It's always been a house of cards, and nothing more than a juggling act at any given point in time."

A "house of cards" has described the world economy for decades, people stop buying for a long enough period of time it will all come falling down.... so people, stay positive! :)

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It all depends on the timing. IF Ford or GM went down in the next five years, the Federal govt would have no choice.

17. Mystery Squid

:rolleyes:

I still get a kick out of it.

;)

18. Mystery Squid

:rolleyes:

19. Mystery Squid

I need to make point here...

Like if there was, you would actually verify the fact? LOL

No, there are "NO" government conspiracies...

...and Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman...

:lol:

20. Mystery Squid

Actually, doesn't sound that funny. Let's face it, you're all going off on the guy because he, essentially, brings a lackluster viewpoint on Toyota into a site full of Toyota owners.

It's actually kind of scary to see just how many people dismiss him as a crackpot, that tends to mean they're relatively naive of how many large corporations conduct themselves, which often times, is far from ethical, and "spun" for consumption by the general public...