1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you insinuating that Japanese and Chinese have the economic interests of the US at heart? Are they worried about you?

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Because of the very different nature of hybridization. They are turning the Camry into a hybrid, so they will retrofit an existing Camry plant... (last I checked the Camry was their most popular vehicle in the US).

Toyota built a Prius plant in China. Is there something sinister going on there?

ONE PLANT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. You're freaking out over details about one plant opening... you can't see the forest through the trees. No... that's not true, you see a forest, but completely the wrong one.

3. LaughingMan

Yes. Wherever the US goes, Japan follows. If we have a recession, they will undoubtedly hurt as well.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    YOu really believe that as a country the Japanese have the best interests of the United States and laughingman at heart?

5. LaughingMan

The recession of the early 90s hit Japan hard. They were not the same through our boom as in the 80s.

6. LaughingMan

Not the best interest, but they have an interest. They are their own independent state, and must look out for their own interests, but there are longstanding ties between the US and the Japan that AREN'T THE FAULT OF THE JAPANESE.

You really hate the Japanese don't you?

How typical.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No I don't hate the Japanese or Chinese as people. Absolutely not. Their governments and trade practices are another story. Did you figure out what the total US trade deficit with Japan adss up to over the last 25 years?

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No I don't hate the Japanese or Chinese as people.  Absolutely not.  Their governments and trade practices are another story.
    So if I question the trade policies of another country I am a racist?
    Did you figure out what the total US trade deficit with Japan adss up to over the last 25 years?

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I said China. I didn't say anything about Japan.

10. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

so entertain us will you?

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol: ok Jayman, just be sure to take your daily blood pressure pills.

;)

lol, I'm out of this thread...waaaaay too much BS being slung around... :lol:

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am in business in the midwest. Employ about 250 people, so yes I do work under pressure too.

13. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

that was a very constructive response Squid, but we shouldn't be surprised, very typical of you

14. LaughingMan

If you hate their government so much, then take it up with our own government... they're just as responsible as the evil japanese overlords, if not moreso.

This goes back to the issue of globalization vs. isolationism, something I'm not feeling up to discussion any further.

I'll sum it up. You have a thing against Japan's trade practices, and specifically against Japanese corporations. You're using Toyota as an example... but they are just one example. I respect that. You have a different point of view.

Personally, I believe such is an effect of the global economy that we have been participating in, and had a big hand in creating.

Is it sad in this regard? Yes... but there are good things that come from a global economy... competition becomes fierce (good and bad for US)... in the case of GM and Ford and DC, seems like it's bad...

But I argue that for the consumer, this competition has allowed for good to happen that you can't deny. Things like airbags, safety features... may not have become so widespread had it not been for fierce competition from abroad.

Do I have any solutions to the bad effects of globalization? No... but do you? And if you do, do you have a solution that doesn't sacrifice the competition that we've all benefited from as consumers?

And i think we're done here. I'm tired.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actualy Japan is deeply in debt, somewhere north of 120% of GDP. If you ever watch BBC World you'd also have watched their Asia segment and already know that. Their banking failures are spectacular.

China is clearly the economic powerhouse of that region, and they are strongly pushing their economy and workforce to ensure that continues.

As far as our gov being corrupt and blind, I agree entirely: both the Canadian and American political system is rotten at the core.

So what do you propose we do about that? Asides from a pointless debate over Toyota. Maybe start by voting for people who aren't dead from the neck up?? Did you vote in the last election??

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At the expense of a shift from public debt to personal debt, due to cheap credit. Hence the negative savings rate in Canada and the U.S. For example, despite a government "surplus" here in Canada, interest payments on debt eat up 65% of total government expendiature.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I never miss a vote on anything. Unfortunately many times our choices are both dead from the neck up. I plan to run for Congress in the next ten years. If I was ever to win, I would probably would be run out of DC!

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

pot, meet kettle...

:lol:

;)

edit: this thread needs a lock, things are degrading REAL fast... :lol:

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No medication and none needed. Routine checkup in July indicated 122/78.

It probably helps I'm not bothered by childish responses.

Speaking of BS ...

20. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just like it should be :D !

Adios con mio, I'm just kidding!