1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smoke and Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by malorn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is currently no Prius equivalent from the domestics. I have no beef with Prius owners who are using their car everyday. Just contempt for the people(not many) I know who keep their Prius tucked in the garage and use it to feel environmentally correct!

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

It sounds like this round table discussion was a strategic meeting of domestics to counter the therat of foreign car makers, Toyota in particular... but just because GM, Ford, and and DC think they have Toyota's strategy figured out doesn't mean that they are right about Toyota's stance on Trucks, Hybrids, or anything else...

They may be right about parts of Toyota's strategy, but it sounds to me that they did not understand Toyota's hybrid strategy back in 2000...

GM's new Hybrid strategy has been very transparently to develop the technology to boost their environmental image. GM has admitted they don't intend to make money on hybrids... very much what it sounds like they think Toyota is doing.

But I'm not convinced that GM and Toyota see the technology in this exact same way. Toyota unquestionably is more commited to the technology than GM...

You know, you keep talking as if Toyota's trucks are the most important part of Toyota's strategy, and that Hybrids are the smokescreen...

What if it's the other way around? What if hybrids and next generation vehicles are Toyota's new strategy, and Toyota's truck business is the distraction? You said yourself :

So they spent the years since 2000 shoring up their defenses on the full-size truck, and they've managed to keep that market, but Toyota ended up with the last laugh... While GM and Ford focused on trucks, we're seeing a shift toward smaller cars, and gas guzzlers are going out of style.

Why couldn't it be that Toyota's strategy all along was to be prepared to catch the market when it shifted back toward smaller more fuel efficient cars, and their Truck business was just a feint to distract the lumbering Big 3?

3. LaughingMan

Once again, send them our way and we'll set them straight.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You may be correct Laughingman. I just think that ultimately Toyota wants to maximize profits just like every other business. I do give them credit for looking at profit in a longer-term way. If profit is the motivator, there is far more profit to be had on full-size trucks and SUV's than cars. You mention that GM does not think they can profit on hybrids? If they are correct, at this point how is Toyota profiting from hybrids? While GM's costs are generally higher per vehicle they are not enough higher to make up for the cost of a Prius being shipped over to the States.

Look at it for a moment from apure profit perspective:

Prius Hybrid-MSRP=25000

Toyota sells to dealer for say $21500 on average
    say the fixed cost for Toyota is 8000
    say the variable cost is $ 10000
    toyota profit = 3500/ copy

Toyota Tundra crew cab - MSRP =35000

Toyota sells to dealer for say 29,500
    fixed cost of $8000
    Variable cost of $ 15000(the difference her is probably less, but you get the picture)
    toyota profit = $6500

I have a retail background and am applying retail financial labels to the numbers. so pardon me if they are not accurate.
    Fixed costs=Advertising, management, distribution etc
    varaible costs=materials, components

Again based solely on potential profit would you concentrate on the truck or the car. Remember for the most part you already own the retail car market!

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Getting back to the question of whether Toyota is a "green" company ..

I think a fair answer to that question is to compare Toyota to it's US competitors:

At it's worst (think huge SUV's and monster trucks), Toyota is better due to emissions, but it is not a blow-out.

At it's best (think factories and HSD vehicles), Toyota is so much better, any discussion just leads to laughter.

Malorn, you obviously could not care less about the environment, but in order to understand your business, do yourself a favor and read the 2005 Toyota Environmental report. Then read GM's. Contrast and compare.

Lastly, your overall argument that Toyota has used 'greeness' to still the truck market away from GM and Ford presupposes that a large enough fraction of truck buyers to make a difference set 'greeness' as a priority. I'd guess you are fairly typical of your buying public. Look in the mirror. Your buyers will leave you to buy Toyota trucks because of reliability ... and maybe fuel economy. They could not care less that Toyota makes the greenest car in the world.

If you are worried about that new truck factory now, just watch what happens when it changes over to hybridized production.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Hmm, throwing money at a problem and hoping that it will resolve itself is not a proper way to resolve problems.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No, but hopefully the money will help people much smarter than I am to find ways to help! I spend 4-10 hours/month trying to help the org further its cause.

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Well what do you suggest?

Driving spikes into trees, lying in front of bulldozers, creating a massive collage of dead skinless animals, what?

:lol:

10. LaughingMan

GM cannot profit from hybrids in the same way that Toyota does because GM still needs to take care of some serious design and engineering costs, while Toyota was at that point back in 1997. Toyota has had the better part of a decade to set up the infrastructure needed, do the necessary R&D, and cut deals with the relevant parts suppliers, and they started selling the Prius back in 1997. For latecomers like GM, all that stuff is ahead of them, especially if they want to look for American solutions for stuff like battery technology and hybrid transmissions.

Plus, the fact that the Prius is in high volume production and is selling like hotcakes helps keep Toyota's hybrid buisiness in the black... Priuses aren't selling cheap either...

Profit, yes, but how much falling demand can the truck/SUV market take before it ceases to become profitable to invest further?

11. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't this any companies goal? Why is it wrong for Toyota to make some profit on selling trucks that people would otherwise buy from GM, Ford or Dodge?

Profit obviously has to be one of their main driving points, but unlike the big 3 domestic makers, they also see a trend away from gas guzzling vehicles and see people becoming more concious about the environment. This leads us to their hybrid strategy. In a number of years, those same trucks will be hybrids and unlike some of the current US trucks, they'll actually be able to shut off WHILE the vehicle is actually moving! What a concept! :)

Essentially what it seems like you are saying is that if a company's main goal is supposed to be towards fuel efficiency, then they have no right to make a vehicle that isn't? Then you should also be upset at the domestic makers for making hybrids, when they should be focusing on hummers, excursions (bring them back!) and other huge gas guzzlers :)

Let's turn the tables for a sec.. what if GM had the vision to start making hybrids back when Toyota did? What if it was a GM Prius we all owned. Would you be as upset about them still making trucks? While many trucks are not bought based on need, there is still a real need for them. I think Toyota is just trying to cash in on this "need". When we can afford a 3rd vehicle, I plan on getting a truck. Honestly, it will probably be a Toyota Hybrid (assuming they're out).

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maggieddd, you have spent considerable time riding me and pulling my posts apart, but i have yet to see very much constructive critique from you.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Out of curiousity, what is the name of the org?

14. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't some of the domestics already placed orders with Toyota for the HSD? Or was that nissan?

And Malorn - If you look, there's a huge difference in focus between Toyota and the big 3. When I think of Dodge, all I can think of is the Viper or their Hemi ads. Neither of which make me think of fuel efficiency.

When I think of Ford, I think of the Excursion or Expedition. Or the old Ford Bronco. Ah.. and let's not forget the mustang.

When I think of GM/Chevy, I think of my Dad's Yukon and my first car - A Chevy Blazer.

And then when I think of Toyota, I think of the Camry, Corrolla and Prius.. I think of the 4Runner too I guess.

That kind of says something.. doesn't it?

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Honestly, I think that if GM had developed the hybrid, marketing would have screwed it up. Look at the EV1, GM never even developed a good PR campaign around it.
    To answer the question, while I admire the hybrid vehicles Toyotais building, I don't think it is ethical for Toyota to continue to drive home what a "green" company they are and increase production of vehicles that get 13/17mpg. I would feel the same way if it was GM, Ford, DCX or Toyota.

16. LaughingMan

Nissan has licensed Toyota's HSD and will be getting technical assistance for hybrid version of their Altima I think.

Ford has also licensed Toyota's hybrid system, but developed their own hybrid drive by themselves. Ford and Toyota also use the same source for hybrid parts... a Japanese company with ties to Toyota... the transmission and the battery. That has been a point of contention between the two companies, and Ford is attempting to find an American company that can take over for them so that they can produce their hybrid cars in higher number.

I'm all for that, and I'm all for Ford's hybrid push. They're doing some good work, and I hope they turn it around for themselves. They don't seem as incompetent as GM.

17. LaughingMan

GM is doing exactly that, you know. They have been very transparent about using their vaporware hybrid car technology to 'green' themselves up, but they do worse than Toyota... they don't even have a single hybrid car out... not till 2007.

An increase in production of vehicles that get 13/17 in the short term with a new truck factory, but what about the long term? What direction are Toyota's vehicles trending?

If you considered the Hybrid strategy to apply to every vehicle, the answer would have to be toward higher fuel efficiency across the board.

Moreover, even if you have an increase in production of vehicles, it doesn't matter as much as the number of vehicles sold, and Toyota still sells WAY more passenger cars than trucks.

18. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

So it's all really up to has the best marketing campaign....you think?

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You are right on, the perception is everything. The fact right now is that a great majority of the Camry, avalon owners currently own a domestic truck or suv. the problem for Toyota is many folks are like you, they don't consider Toyota and Trucks. Toyota sees this as an opportunity, and thus are trying to find ways to change this perception(NASCAR, Toyota trucks, sponsorships involving sports)

20. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I have to chime in on this, as that's precisely my line of thinking with respect vehicles.

I used to hang around different truck message boards when I had one, and I kept hearing over and over again how if you want a "bullet proof" truck, the Tundra and Tacoma fit the bill. Thing is, the average blue-collar American truck owners don't really like the idea of a "foreign" truck. That and the fact that a lot of Toyota trucks (surprise surprise) seem to be built around someone who's 5' 8" 135lbs. I believe their biggest truck is still smaller than some "first level" F150 models.

Again, could they be trying to put smiles on the faces of Americans in some sort of effort to mask deeper, more ominous marketing plans? Sure can. Then again, U.S. manufacturers could be accused of the same thing. Marketing on that level is flat out war without guns. You seek out as much marketshare as you can and do whatever it takes.